Ach0zenbeing
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Looking for my first

Buying my first bike see 250 and have a question

#1 Unread post by Ach0zenbeing »

Hey everyone, new member here. Real name is Matt, I'm 26 years old and I'm from Astoria, NY. I am currently shopping for my first bike and I came across one that really caught my eye. Before I scoop her up, I wanted to ask a couple questions here. My plan is to enjoy it at night when streets are empty and to get around locally during rush hour when the traffic is crazy, also to save gas and to preserve my new car. My car is prone to carbon build up on the Pistons from all the short local trips and city driving leads to all sorts of songs, dents and scratches

How does a 1988 srx 250 sound for a first bike??

Are these bikes, especially at that age prone to problems? Or is it reliable if taken care of?

Once I get used to it, would it be possible to modify it and swap out the motor?? I'm a speed freak and would probably want to swap up to something at least 600cc after getting used to the 250.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Buying my first bike see 250 and have a question

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

250 is a great size for learning. Very handy for exploring side streets and quieter back roads. Turns around in a small space easily too.

250 bikes have components sized for the 250 motor. The general rule for increasing performance parts is that you'll quickly find the next weakest link. Trade bikes, not motors.

Practicing riding at night is a poor plan unless you are under a LOT of lighting. You need to see what your traction situation looks like and you need to see objects in the road. And you do NOT need to be mixing it up with drunks or punks.

Riding during rush hour is potentially life-ending road combat for a beginner. Not recommended. Unless you can lane-split (I'm sure you cannot in NY) there is little benefit to motorcycle commuting timewise and it raises your risk significantly.

Find and take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner's course. What you don't know could leave you maimed for life.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Ach0zenbeing
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Looking for my first

#3 Unread post by Ach0zenbeing »

GS_in_CO wrote:250 is a great size for learning. Very handy for exploring side streets and quieter back roads. Turns around in a small space easily too.

250 bikes have components sized for the 250 motor. The general rule for increasing performance parts is that you'll quickly find the next weakest link. Trade bikes, not motors.

Practicing riding at night is a poor plan unless you are under a LOT of lighting. You need to see what your traction situation looks like and you need to see objects in the road. And you do NOT need to be mixing it up with drunks or punks.

Riding during rush hour is potentially life-ending road combat for a beginner. Not recommended. Unless you can lane-split (I'm sure you cannot in NY) there is little benefit to motorcycle commuting timewise and it raises your risk significantly.

Find and take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner's course. What you don't know could leave you maimed for life.
Makes a lot of sense. I am actually searching for a good beginners course local to me. I love the look of the srx 250 but I know I'll get tired of it real quick, as I am a speed freak. I like sleepers also, which is why I inquired about upgrading the srx 250. I have a 1991 civic that runs 11's in the quarter mile and a 2011 Buick Regal turbo that's pushing around 400hp. I definitely want to learn throttle control and the basics off something more noob friendly, such as the srx 250. I'm not trying to learn off of anything too crazy. How are the srx 250s on parts?? It seems kind of old, will sourcing parts be a problem if something goes wrong? I'm selling my highly modified zuma scooter which I put a big bore kit on, exhaust, transmission upgrade, gears and a lot more. So I have some 2 wheel experience. While the scooter is fun stop sign to stop sign, I'm pretty limited to where I can take it. My cars also average 9 mpg in the city, so I'm trying to get something more economical for traveling locally in the city. I appreciate the feedback and agree completely with everything you said.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I can't address the SRX250 but you can see by my sig I'm riding an old motorcycle myself. So it's not automatically a bad idea.

You might want to bring up some YouTube videos about motorcycle crashes. The sportbike guys record themselves doing very high speed shenanigans and often they crash. Consider very carefully the consequences of crashing at speed in shorts, t-shirts and sneakers.

Bikes are really great but like fighter planes, they'll kill you quickly if you haven't worked up to them. Too much speed too soon can be fatal.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I have an 82 sr250 and its a great around town bike. I'm guessing the srx would be fairly similar. Don't really have much issues motor wise and it's a simple now to wrench on.

You'd be surprised at how quick they can be too. Automatically assuming you'll tire of it isn't something that will happen. You're in the city and mostly using it for around town from what I gather. 250 will be easy.

Parts arnt easy to find, but eBay is your friend.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F