Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: About to buy

First bike Rural/suburban riding 60yr old local trips no long highway rides

#1 Unread post by paulct54 »

Here is the background:

Getting first real bike (40 years ago I rode around Manhattan on a Yamaha 100...). Virtually all driving will be around the hills and valleys of New England on state roads. Occasionally on an interstate for an exit or three. I am in Wilton CT, if anyone knows the area. So a ride up Route 7 to Lime Rock to watch the racing will be a typical 1.5 hour ride. Summers only. Lots of short <5 mile trips around town too.

Budget about 10k, and prefer new. I don't know enough about what to look for on a used bike. I am good with cars, but not bikes. Very comfortable driving most anything, have taken a few auto racing schools.

I keep getting drawn to the Versys 650. Reviews seem good, and I like the model with the bags on it for carrying stuff. But the BMW dealer really had me sold on the F 700 GS too. But I REALLY like the vintage look of the new Triumphs. And I"d like a dealer that is within 20 miles or so, which may eliminate a few options.

I think I'd like a fairly upright riding position. I just know I don't want that lean forward sport bike thing.

No passengers.

Am on the right track here? Thanks much! Paul

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: First bike Rural/suburban riding 60yr old local trips no long highway rides

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Paul, welcome to TMW! You've come to the right place.
Not sure if you could find one brand-new, but maybe consider the 2013 Honda CB1100 ABS.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 100ABS.htm
That'll be plenty of power and more for your 1.5 hour fun runs, upright riding position and retro styling, all with the bulletproof reputation, dealer network and aftermarket love you can expect from Honda. Also, they listed at $10,999 new, so if you can find either a NOS or gently used specimen it'd be right in your price range.
Just my $0.02.

paulct54
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by paulct54 »

Interesting choice! I had not considered it. Thanks for the info. A little concerned about the size/weight for a first bike, but I'll see if I can find one to check out!

Paul

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

If you're looking at the Versys and the F700GS, also look at the Suzuki Vstrom 650.

I know folks who have had Vstrom 650's for their first bike, and with a little caution they were fine. We also have a F650GS twin (immediate predecessor to the F700GS and very similar) in the family, and it, too is do-able as a first bike with a little self-discipline on the throttle. Our F650GS is factory-lowered (it is my wife's bike) which makes it even easier to handle, yet is fully capable of long-distance travel when you progress to that point.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

paulct54
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by paulct54 »

I have ruled out the Versys, as the local Kawasaki dealer was incompetent and completely not helpful (and I see from the reviews I am not alone in this opinion!)

I did throw a leg over the Yamaha FZ-07 and Honda CB500X today. I liked the feel of both, although I am moving away from the classic bike look. I also tried the V-Strom, and it felt too big for me. On the Suzuki front, I actually liked the SV-650 a bit more than the V-Strom.

But what is it with these dealers who don't know jack sh*t about what they sell?? This guy told me the Honda had no ABS available (not true) and that there was no way to mount side bags on the Yamaha. Also not true! So far the only dealer who really knew his stuff was the BMW guy.

Got my learner's permit today, and my full required class is not till August. In CT, you have to take the full class to get the endorsement.

paulct54
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by paulct54 »

I went with the BMW F700GS. Love it so far (only 40 very careful miles on the back roads!).