alimartin
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: On the hunt!

First bike advice for short rider

#1 Unread post by alimartin »

Hi all!

Nearly 10 years ago, I took the course and got licensed, and haven't ridden since. I will certainly take some refresher lessons before purchasing and getting out on the road, but I'm doing some research on what it is I want to get.

I love the style of the Ducati Scrambler. I like café racer style, and light (really light) cruisers. I don't want to be perched way forward and leaning on my hands, and given that I'm only 5'1, I don't need or want a massive bike (and need a lower seat height!).

I'm also realistic in that I don't need or want some 800 or 1200cc monster, but I also don't want to get a 250 and outgrow it in the first year. I also live very rurally, so it's a lot of highway and mountains around me.

Does anyone have some suggestions for what might fit my criteria in terms of style, comfort and mid level power?

AmyF27
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 05 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Re: First bike advice for short rider

#2 Unread post by AmyF27 »

I'm 5'3" and ride a Suzuki Boulevard S40. It's a 650 CC engine.

I got my license in 2012 and had a few months experience after on a scooter, ninja 250, Honda rebel 250. Then 1.5 years went by bikeless. Got the Suzuki S40 around Xmas 2015 and have put about 3000 miles on it since.

S40 is a lightweight small cruiser and a definite low seat height . Mine was on my $1100 (got an 05 that had some cosmetic issues). Very reliable bike.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#3 Unread post by Hanson »

First,

Welcome to the Total Motorcycle Forum :)

You might have a look at a Moto Guzzi V7 --- there are a number of different V7 models including the Racer. I really like these motos and went for a sit on one a few years ago and found it quite cramped. It might be a comfortable fit for you. It is 750cc, but it is also a mid power motorcycle with an under stressed motor in a very cool configuration. Size is not everything and different motorcycle engines of exactly the same displacement can have a wide range of performance characteristics.

If you think that is overly large, then I would have a hard look at the Yamaha SR400 which is a rather cool retro bike.

You might also spend some time on the Motorcycle Ergonomics web site, cycle-ergo.com. You can put in your basic measurements and then get a crude idea of how you might fit on a great many different motorcycles. There is, in the end, no true substitute for going to the dealer and sitting on a bike.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Maybe the Yamaha Bolt?
Sub-liter power, 560 lbs wet, fairly narrow waist and the bullnose tank gives it a cafe feel (I think so anyway).
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -RSpec.htm

alimartin
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: On the hunt!

#5 Unread post by alimartin »

Appreciate the feedback, had some new models to check out :)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Tried and true Kawasaki Ninja 500, Suzuki GS 500.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#7 Unread post by Jamers! »

a 250 you will grow out of in a year is only an issue if you buy it brand new. There is a high turnover rate for those bikes and you could likely buy used and sell used and only 'spend' a few hundred on the bike over 6 months of easing into riding.

Thoughts though if you want to skip that step:

yamaha bolt,
EX ninja 300 or 500
H-D Sporty Seventy-Two
Honda CB500
Triump t100
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF