Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda Shadow 600

1st bike

#1 Unread post by PIBrider »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for guidance on buying my first bike. I just finished my MSF course. I was riding a Harley street 500 in the course and feel really comfortable with it. Not ready to hit the streets yet but I don't think it'll be too long for me to progress to that once I've spent some time practicing in a deserted parking lot.

Here's what I know I want:

Street/standard bike
$2500 max price
Used

Here's where I could use some extra guidance:

Engine power: since I'm a beginner and I'll be learning I want to make sure I get something I can handle. I've seen some Honda Rebel 250s that are within my price range but I don't want to get one and turn around and decide that I want something more powerful. I can't seem to find any used street bikes in the 500cc area. Plenty of sportsters and I definitely don't want one of those. Found a Honda shadow spirit 750 that looks promising, but I don't know if that's going to be too much for me.

Plan to do most of the maintenance myself (already do a lot of my own auto maintenance) so something easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Purchasing used: any tips to make sure I don't get swindled purchasing a used bike.

Any other tips are welcome! Thanks in advance!

PIB

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: 1st bike

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Jennifer,

Welcome to TMW! You've come to the right place, and thank you for joining!

Your instinct to pass up a Rebel 250 is a good one. If you've already completed the MSF BRC you'll rapidly outgrow a Rebel 250, especially if you intend to do any freeway riding. A "sporty" 250 like a CBR or a Ninja would also feel underpowered after only a few miles, but perhaps not as soon as the Rebel.

For a cruiser type bike, anything sub-liter will be manageable at your present level. The Shadow 750 is a solid option and will likely be just right for your first couple years, if not longer. If you go with a standard or sport bike, I'd recommend staying at 500cc or less while starting out.

In my area, a $2500 price tag can get you into any number of mid to late 2000's bikes with less than 20k on the odo, no idea if the same is true where you are but I'll bet it's close. Resist the temptation to buy an old bike with low miles that's been in someone's garage for two decades -- a gently used bike is FAR better than one that's sat and rotted. Check for leaky forks, which is readily noticeable by a scum of filthy grease above the seal, and check to be sure all the lights and signals work. Also, watch for a salvage title. You can sometimes get good deals in that arena, but I wouldn't recommend a salvage for your first bike. Someone will be along with more precise information soon enough.

Again, welcome to TMW! Keep us posted on your progress, and I look forward to seeing you in the threads.

PIBrider
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by PIBrider »

Thanks for the input JackoftheGreen. I appreciate the tip on checking the forks. I'm looking at a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 this afternoon. It's got a drive shaft and I've been warned about shaft jacking. Being a newb, I had to look that up. I'm still unclear as to what happens and if it's going to make handling more challenging for a beginner.

I appreciate all the info. Hopefully, I'll be riding soon!

PIB

JackoftheGreen

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

No worries about shaft drive. My first street bike was a Magna 1100 with a shaft drive, and even with that much power running through the shaft I never experienced any shaft hop that I could detect. A Vulcan 750 is a great beginner's bike, manageable and predictable power, nice low saddle and cheap maintenance. Mileage?

PIBrider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by PIBrider »

JackoftheGreen wrote: A Vulcan 750 is a great beginner's bike, manageable and predictable power, nice low saddle and cheap maintenance. Mileage?
Less than 10,000. I'm actually a little concerned about that. It's a '99. I hope it hasn't just been sitting in the garage.

JackoftheGreen

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

If it's been cared for and ridden at least a little every season, it might be a gem. Check if it's currently registered, look for flat spots on the tires and cobwebs under the pegs, always a giveaway that it's been sitting. In your price range you should be able to pick up something a couple years newer.

PIBrider
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by PIBrider »

I just wanted to update you. I found my bike last weekend!
Ended up going with a 2004 Honda Shadow 600.
Although it hasn't been ridden regularly in about a year, the owner was really knowledgeable about care and maintenance. It's got just under 12000 miles and it sits really nice.

Hopefully, by the end of this season I'll be comfortable enough on it to start driving around town. Thanks for your guidance, JackoftheGreen! It was really helpful!

PIB

JackoftheGreen

#8 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Congratulations on your first bike! Take it slow and give yourself the time you need to build confidence, but don't be afraid to enjoy your new machine. Also, I and the rest of TMW will be expecting pictures of your ride very soon. :-) Shadows are great bikes, solidly built and easy to service, good choice.

PIBrider
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by PIBrider »

Rode to work this morning for the first time! Woo hoo!
1stRidetoWork.jpg
Honda Shadow.jpg

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Yahoo. Isn't that a great feeling?

Your Honda looks great. :)