pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: 1st bike

#11 Unread post by pchast »

Congratulations on your first excursion.
Nice Ride.......
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#12 Unread post by dr_bar »

What a great find for a bike, looks awesome. That you did the selfie with your gear on is what impressed me most. You're on the right track for a safe journey in this crazy lifestyle on two wheels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#13 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

That's a great looking Shadow! Congratulations again on your first bike and your first ride!

Hope to see you in the threads, keep us updated and don't hesitate with any questions or concerns you have. Our community is here to help.

PIBrider
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda Shadow 600

#14 Unread post by PIBrider »

Logged close to a hundred miles on my new bike this weekend! Bought my own jacket (the one in the picture was borrowed) and even had my first break down. I just ran out of gas. It took me a minute to figure out what happened because when I bought the bike the previous owner said I'd be able to get 115 miles in before having to flip to the reserve tank so when I puttered out at 75ish it didn't occur to me that it was the gas.

I also attempted a minor repair. The front right running light wasn't working when I bought it. The blinker works though. I figured maybe it was just one of the filaments in the light bulb burnt out. Unfortunately, it was not that simple. After changing the bulb I inspected a little closer and noticed that the right blinker was going double speed, which I believe indicates a wiring issue. I took apart the entire blinker assembly to see if there was any corrosion-none. Removed the front cover to trace the wire back, unplugged the connector and plugged it back in. The connector itself looked good and no fraying or anything on the cable. I got it all put back together again and I'm proud to say that it isn't any more broken than when I started.

Next on my list is to check the fuse box. I've done a little work on my car and a lot of work on computers, but obviously this is the first time I've done any work on a motorcycle. If you have any recommendations on what to check next, I'd be grateful. I'm about to go see if there's a repair forum to post this to as well.

Loving all the support from this community! Y'all are a God-send to a newb like myself!

PIB