About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

juntjoo
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 82 Honda Nighthawk

About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

#1 Unread post by juntjoo »

What should I know about this bike and riding in general if anything at all. I almost know nothing about bikes, just assume basic mechanical knowledge from cars, so basically my impression from what I've read this is a reliable bike with a little Honda civic engine in it with four inline cylinders as opposed to two. Not sure what that means but I'll consider it double meaning twice as good lol. I'm guessing smoother more balanced operation. ... and that it's the last of the SOHC's before they went up to DOHC's meaning less power but easier maintenance and reliability and parts availability. But I don't get the shaft drive but whatever. I get less power loss in a chain!

Anyway I'm getting it for 2k. It's got a bit over 6k miles and it's barely got any signs of rust. Saw one nick in the paint job. Has been garage kept. He didn't start it for me as he has keep it up on the trailer that comes with the deal and he says he's kept it winterized and says he changes the oil every year regardless and showed me the clean oil and clean interior of the gas tank. He rode it last in 09 and has just kept it in the garage ever since. He says expect it might not start at first. Might need a tune up, but that it ran perfect in 09. So a bit of a gamble but it looks to have been babied, and I also take note of the environment and the owner all which looked pretty up-kept and clean -he's just older now and fell off his roof a couple years back so now he's selling his old toys. So anyone else have one of these?

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

First things first, get training. It will supply you with the absolute basic skills that will help you survive this crazy lifestyle we love on two wheels...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

If it was parked in '09 and hasn't been run then the carbs are probably gummed up and the gas tank may be rusty inside unless the previous owner took pains to properly store it (chances are that this was not done).

Treat learning ride as you would treat learning to fly. It looks easy and you may think you know a lot from driving 4 wheeled vehicles but you are way more vulnerable and, whether they know it or not, the other drivers are out to kill you.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by juntjoo »

GS_in_CO wrote:If it was parked in '09 and hasn't been run then the carbs are probably gummed up and the gas tank may be rusty inside unless the previous owner took pains to properly store it (chances are that this was not done).

Treat learning ride as you would treat learning to fly. It looks easy and you may think you know a lot from driving 4 wheeled vehicles but you are way more vulnerable and, whether they know it or not, the other drivers are out to kill you.

Thank you. I hear ya loud and clear. Out to kill me, intentionally or not. So he said he has "winterized" which I'm assuming covers tank maintenance along with the proclaimed yearly oil changes. From looking down in from above it looked clean save for some slight brownish discoloration but nothing scary. Should I take some sort of carb cleaner spray with me? Could that be enough to clear up some gummage? I'm planning on at least checking that it cranks ruling out any possible electric/starter issues, bringing cables, and if I could get it to actually start that would be reassuring, tho probably won't be necessary. ... Or would dirty 7 year sleeping carbs probably need an overhaul? Thanks!

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by juntjoo »

dr_bar wrote:First things first, get training. It will supply you with the absolute basic skills that will help you survive this crazy lifestyle we love on two wheels...

Yes, thanks. Licence, training, helmut, gloves, saddlebags, on my list things to prepare by the time I get it primed and ready to go.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

juntjoo wrote:So he said he has "winterized" which I'm assuming covers tank maintenance along with the proclaimed yearly oil changes. From looking down in from above it looked clean save for some slight brownish discoloration but nothing scary. Should I take some sort of carb cleaner spray with me? Could that be enough to clear up some gummage? I'm planning on at least checking that it cranks ruling out any possible electric/starter issues, bringing cables, and if I could get it to actually start that would be reassuring, tho probably won't be necessary. ... Or would dirty 7 year sleeping carbs probably need an overhaul? Thanks!
Winterization won't help with tank rust. Essentially condensation builds up in the tank, runs down the sides and adds water to the mix. Water leads to increased rust. The issue is you'll find this low in the saddle of the tank where you can't see it in a visual inspection short of draining the tank and using an inspection camera.

If he winterized it appropriately - it would fire up. If the carbs are gummed up, he didn't winterize it well. I winterized a tractor and didn't use it for 3 years. Added fuel and a new battery and she fired right up.

Either way- letting a bike sit that long leads to dry rot. You'll want to replace the vacum tubes, fuel lines, flush the brakes, replace the tires, lube movement points on the chasis and make sure the chain is still in good condition (not binding)
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by juntjoo »

storysunfolding wrote:
juntjoo wrote:So he said he has "winterized" which I'm assuming covers tank maintenance along with the proclaimed yearly oil changes. From looking down in from above it looked clean save for some slight brownish discoloration but nothing scary. Should I take some sort of carb cleaner spray with me? Could that be enough to clear up some gummage? I'm planning on at least checking that it cranks ruling out any possible electric/starter issues, bringing cables, and if I could get it to actually start that would be reassuring, tho probably won't be necessary. ... Or would dirty 7 year sleeping carbs probably need an overhaul? Thanks!
Winterization won't help with tank rust. Essentially condensation builds up in the tank, runs down the sides and adds water to the mix. Water leads to increased rust. The issue is you'll find this low in the saddle of the tank where you can't see it in a visual inspection short of draining the tank and using an inspection camera.

If he winterized it appropriately - it would fire up. If the carbs are gummed up, he didn't winterize it well. I winterized a tractor and didn't use it for 3 years. Added fuel and a new battery and she fired right up.

Either way- letting a bike sit that long leads to dry rot. You'll want to replace the vacum tubes, fuel lines, flush the brakes, replace the tires, lube movement points on the chasis and make sure the chain is still in good condition (not binding)

Thank you. great info

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#8 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I'd like to know what the seller means when he says he winterized it. Definitions can vary substantially.

I would NOT use the fuel that's in the tank at all. Ideally the guy topped off the tank with Stabil-treated fuel, closed the fuel petcock, it doesn't leak at all, and he drained the carbs dry when storing it. If you were to find the bike in this ideal condition you should drain the fuel tank thru the petcock all the way down to Reserve into a gas can and safely discard that gas. Then install fresh gas. Opening the petcock to allow old fuel into the carbs is just begging for trouble.

If the carbs are gummed - chances are they won't be cleared with carb cleaner spray while still on the bike. But you can cross your fingers. But then again, carb cleaner spray hurts rubber parts so dousing the carbs with it will just create further problems. (the problems are inside the carbs anyway so getting the cleaner to the gummy parts is tricky)

And as storysununfolding said - there's a lot more needed for the bike to be safe and reliable after storage. Looking after the brakes (rusted in place?) and putting new tires on (old ones are hard, cracked, and slippery) are at the top of the list.

Still, it sounds like a fun project and a great bike to start with.
(Power loss because of shaft drive is totally irrelevant to you at this point in your riding career. )
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

juntjoo wrote:
dr_bar wrote:First things first, get training. It will supply you with the absolute basic skills that will help you survive this crazy lifestyle we love on two wheels...

Yes, thanks. Licence, training, helmut, gloves, saddlebags, on my list things to prepare by the time I get it primed and ready to go.

Where's a like button when you need one... ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Consider closely what storysunfolding had to say about neglected bikes. It seems counterintuitive, but it's usually better to get a bike with more miles that's been regularly used than one that has sat, winterized or not. Plenty of things can go wrong with the works other than the fuel system, and before you know it you could be another $2k into the bike before it's serviceable.

At $2k there should be some other options for you, look for early to mid 2000's small-displacement sport or adventure bikes. Unless you really REALLY like the Nighthawk. If it's just a price point thing, keep searching.