Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

Re: Most Important Gear??

#21 Unread post by Amdonim »

Grey Thumper wrote:
jstark47 wrote:Bee, june bug, any large flying insect. You'd be surprised what they feel like at 60mph. The impact will raise a welt on unprotected skin. And there's small objects kicked up by cars like stones, etc.
+1 "Dress for the crash" does have a point, but all this stuff also protects you in everyday riding, everything from helmets minimizing hearing damage, to jackets protecting you from sun, wind, rain, the works. I've been hit by all sorts of weird tiny little things, like jstark47 mentions, which could've potentially hurt like hell. The fact that I was protected also could've prevented a crash, you never know.
100% correct. A lot of people don't realize, wearing the right gear actually makes your ride more comfortable. You just have to have gear that's seasonably appropriate. For me in Alabama, riding year round, that means a mesh set (soaked with water at every stop) for 100+ days and a layered set for sub freezing temps. On longer rides especially, the wind and sun on your bare skin will take its toll, trust me. As an aside, I got caught once in the rain when I was stupid enough to ride without gear. Rain hitting you at 70mph feels like bee stings all over your body. It's unpleasant for sure. I've also been hit by hail while armored, and I can tell you it likely saved me from serious trauma. Left a 4 inch welt/bruise and it hit armor.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#22 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Amdonim wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:
jstark47 wrote:Bee, june bug, any large flying insect. You'd be surprised what they feel like at 60mph. The impact will raise a welt on unprotected skin. And there's small objects kicked up by cars like stones, etc.
and a layered set for sub freezing temps.
I never knew Alabama got cold. For some reason I always thought it was steamy hot. Too many movies I guess. :)

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#23 Unread post by Amdonim »

Northern Alabama routinely reaches the lower teens around February. Snow is common. But yes most of the year is mercilessly hot.

Edit: I realize the teens must not seem that cold, but it is for us. I have no concept of what subzero temperatures actually mean, but it seems unpleasant.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#24 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Amdonim wrote: I have no concept of what subzero temperatures actually mean, but it seems unpleasant.
It means you wear gloves, scarves, toques and wool socks. :mrgreen:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#25 Unread post by dr_bar »

blues2cruise wrote:
Amdonim wrote: I have no concept of what subzero temperatures actually mean, but it seems unpleasant.
It means you wear gloves, scarves, toques and wool socks. :mrgreen:
Heated socks, pants, coat, gloves, and if your helmet has the option, heated shield...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#26 Unread post by Gummiente »

Kage909 wrote:
ceemes wrote:The most important bit of gear? Your head, or rather the gooey gray matter in cased in your skull. You could have all the protective gear going and still render it useless if you are not using your head and are riding like an idiot or not paying attention to your environment aka situational awareness. Your best protective gear is your head, ride only when sober, clear headed, calm, rational and sanely....do that and when the unexpected happens, all the other gear will have a better chance at doing their job, namely saving your butt and skin......ATGATT begins with thinking.
Well obviously I am going to wear a helmet :kicking: The law states I have to for at least 1 full year after getting my license, not only that I never ride w/o one. I was basically wondering what other gear is just as important. :littlebike3:
Dude, no, you completely missed the very accurate point Mr Ceemes made. It isn't about wearing a helmet or any other gear, it is about getting your brain and your attitude adjusted BEFORE putting any riding gear on.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#27 Unread post by dr_bar »

Sub zero to a Canadian is in the teens for our American cousins. 0*C is 32*F :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#28 Unread post by Amdonim »

True I didn't think about it that way.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#29 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

This doesn't exactly fall under the usual protective gear concerns, but don't forget hearing protection. Even with a full face helmet, noise at highway speeds can easily reach above 100dB and damage your ears. The quirky thing about hearing damage is your ears don't heal (specifically, the hair cells on your basilar membrane don't grow back if damaged - but that's a long story). Your hearing will just get worse and worse, in small increments that you won't notice.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to protect your ears; earplugs, ear buds, etc. Something to consider.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#30 Unread post by Amdonim »

Grey Thumper wrote:This doesn't exactly fall under the usual protective gear concerns, but don't forget hearing protection. Even with a full face helmet, noise at highway speeds can easily reach above 100dB and damage your ears. The quirky thing about hearing damage is your ears don't heal (specifically, the hair cells on your basilar membrane don't grow back if damaged - but that's a long story). Your hearing will just get worse and worse, in small increments that you won't notice.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to protect your ears; earplugs, ear buds, etc. Something to consider.
Definitely true. My Connie has the stock windshield and its so loud. I've found that rubber earplug style headphones covered by a skullcap brings volumes down to a reasonable level. Allows me to listen to music with some quality as well.