KingJacobo
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: N/A

First Bike, all-in-one commuter.

#1 Unread post by KingJacobo »

Hey all! I'll be 24 this month, and I'm a car guy that has decided after several months that I am going to get a mid-sized cruiser motorcycle for my commute to pile on the miles and enjoy riding!

I have no experience riding motorcycles, just bicycles (short distances for fun and commuting in college). I am a car guy though. I have a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville and a modded 1999 Trans Am (current daily driver). I will take the MSF course and buy full gear from head to toe.

Relevant Details:

-2k-3k budget. 2002+
-Not expensive or difficult to maintain. I like having weekends to do stuff and not fix stuff all the time.
-10mi each way daily commute, pure city. Mix of stop-and-go traffic and up to 55mph stretches daily.
-I'm 5'11, 150 lbs. Thin and muscular.
-Bike MUST be doable at 70mph on hwy, preferably with a bit of juice left just in case. I suspect I will want to cruise a bit on weekends.
-I am not a speed demon, but can't stand slugs. I respect powerful machines and I have the Trans Am to go fast.
-600-950cc. Fun, comfy commuter that isn't a slug, but can pass as needed.
-Low/easy maintenance. I do oil changes, easy part swaps, brakes (with supervision) on my cars. Can fix minor stuff, but I'm no mechanic.
-Looking for the closest thing to an "oil change, brakes and ride" bike. I don't need another money pit/maintenance queen vehicle.
-Ability to carry small items. The ability to add saddlebags would be nice if I felt the need.
-This is my first bike. Plan to upgrade within 2 years to a larger cc/bike I like better after I get experience. I REALLY want a Yamaha though. V Star seems to be the style I like.
-Living in GA, I will try to ride year round. Bike must be able to ride in winter without being a tuning nightmare.
-Carbs are fine, prefer FI though if budget permits
-A mellow V8 rumble is my favorite sound in the world. Prefer a non-sportbike exhaust note.

I have been researching motorcycles and their ownership like crazy. Coming from a car enthusiast background, I know this purchase cannot be rushed and without lots of knowledge.

Obvious choices:
-Honda Shadow (750?) - Whiney exhaust, Honda Civic equivalent of motorcycles? Cheap though!
-Kawasaki Vulcan (750?) -
-Yamaha V Star (650?) - My dream bike, but check valves every 4k?! Oil filter location?! Is the rear drum brake an issue?
-Suzuki Intruder Volusia
Triumph Speedmaster - Is it an issue that this is most likely much less common of a bike than the others?

Thoughts?
Last edited by KingJacobo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bdub
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer

Re: First Bike, all-in-one commuter.

#2 Unread post by Bdub »

Jacob,
My first bike was an 09 VStar 650 Silverado. I rode it for 3 years before upgrading to a 2012 VStar 950 Tourer last year. It might help to know some of your physical characteristics, how tall/heavy. I'm 5'9" and 250, my 650 got me around quite well, but my 950 is perfect for my riding style. You won't have an issue with the oil filter on the 650. The VStar 1100s have been known for having difficulty with removing the oil filter and a lot of owners did the oil filter move kit. The rear drum brake wasn't a problem for me. The saddlebags on a 650 don't lock but they are very useful for carrying stuff. I do most of my looking on Cycle Trader, so you might want to look there. Taking the MSF course will help you but one more thing I would recommend is going to a dealer and sitting on the bikes you have listed if they're available. I sat on every bike I had an interest in to see how the ergonomics felt, seat height, foot placement [both my bikes had/have floorboards], handlebar position, and that will also help in determining which bike to buy. That's my dime.

KingJacobo
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: N/A

#3 Unread post by KingJacobo »

Thanks for the reply!

I'm 5'11, 150lbs with a thin and muscular build (gym rat).
I will definitely sit on all the bikes at a local dealer when I complete the MSF!

How often did you check valves on the V star 650, and how was overall maintenance?

Any other opinions?

Bdub
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer

#4 Unread post by Bdub »

I purchased the bike new and had it up to the first 4k checkup, and had that service done before I traded it. The 650 maintenance is easy, and easier if you have a garage. I don't so that made finding a good service shop a top priority for me. I have a great shop in my area that does all my work. If the servicing is something that you think will be an issue check around and see if anyone can recommend a good independent shop that services all makes & types so you're not dependent on using a dealer to do the work.
I didn't mention this before but shop around for your insurance as well. Once you take the MSF course ensure you have your certificate available so the insurer knows you've done your due diligence by getting the appropriate training and they may give you a reduced price. Mention this to the agent as they may not ask you about it.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#5 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

From left field: used Suzuki Burgman. Perfectly happy in the city, dragging the center stand on the Dragon, or running 75+ on the highway. The 400 is a superb city bike but just a bit thin on power for the highway (though entirely adequate, especially solo-I did the Blue Ridge on mine), the 650 is a strong runner that will top 100MPH easily. Cheap to buy, fuel injected, pretty simple to maintain, gigantic storage, amazing ECVT, most have ABS.