sdsurfnbike
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: help

Tall guy help

#1 Unread post by sdsurfnbike »

Hey guys

I need some help finding my first bike...

so I'm super tall (6'5) but not super heavy (185lb) and on a budget. I'm in college and managed to save up $3k to drop on my first bike. So far I'm really liking the Honda Rebel, the yamaha v star and the Honda shadow but am worried i'm too tall. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good cruiser bike for some tall beginner like me?

Thanks for the advice!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Tall guy help

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You have to go to the motorcycle shops and sit on the various bikes to see what feels right.

The Rebel is going to be too small for you. The V-Star or Shadow "might" be ok.....if you want your knees up by your ears. :laughing: :laughing:

J/k

Depends on your inseam length, too. You may have a tall body but slightly less long legs.

Sportsters tend to be somewhat taller bikes as do the V-Stroms. You might go look at a 650 V-strom. I know it's not a cruiser....but it's taller.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#3 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

Maybe try a dual sport.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#4 Unread post by Kal »

A lot depends on your leg length rather than your total height. I've got a 34" inside leg and I am comfortable on most commuter bikes. My GB is absolutely tiny, as was my CG125 - I just couldnt take passengers.

Blues advise about getting yourself sat on as many bikes as possible is really the best, once you had that opportunity you'll have a better idea of what models suit your ergonomics.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#5 Unread post by Jamers! »

any HD sportster is going to be too small. I am 5'10 210 and the 883 feels cramped and would need major risers to get the bars up to my level. the 1200 would perhaps be doable, but for a first bike that is too much. v star could work. a man of your height though could do well on a standard or dual sport. Look at v storm, kawasaki KLR. The extra height on those bikes will increase your comfort.
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF