Looking for help with Tune-Up questions. (oils, lubes, filters, etc)

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda VTX 1300c

Looking for help with Tune-Up questions. (oils, lubes, filters, etc)

#1 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Hello again!

I recently got a new bike, i only had my old one for a couple months, but it seemed to small. Anyways, i just got a 2004 Honda VTX 1300c. I'll put some pictures up in a couple days. So far, i love it, it runs good, but seems like it could use a tune up. It backfires some when releasing the throttle, and it bogs down sometimes. The bike has 22k miles on it, and i'm not sure when the last tune-up was given. The previous owner said he changed the air filter and gave it an oil change early last year, but didn't ride it much since then... I was thinking i would go ahead and just give it a full tune-up, but i have some questions.

First, I want to run some fuel line cleaner through it and heard that SeaFoam was great to use. I used to use Chemtool Carburetor/Fuel Treatment and Injector Cleaner in my car, but i was told it was bad for the gaskets and that using lucus would be better. So my qeustion is, which fuel additive would yal use/recommenced? I was thinking of running one round of SeaFoam though it, then 1 round of lucus.. Not sure though.

Second, what kind oil? Service manual recommends Honda's GN4 10w-30 SJ (which is non-synth). I was kind of thinking about using mobile 1 synthetic vtwin, but i can't find it in 10w-30... So, should i use synth or non-synth and what brand. Again, bike has 22k miles.

Third, Honda Oil filter, K&N or others? Amazon says KN-204 will fit, does that sound right? Can't find it in service manual..

Forth, what air filter brand? Honda?

Fifth, what kind of lube? I want to lube the kick stand, peg joints, and possibly the choke cable. Will one type of lube work for all of those, and what brand/type do yal recommend?

sixth, what gear oil and what final drive oil and are those the same thing? =)

That's all for now, and sorry for so many question. Any help is much appreciated. I okay with a wrench and have an idea on which products to use. But i would really like to see what you guys recommend i use and/or use yourselves. Thanks!

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Looking for help with Tune-Up questions. (oils, lubes, filters, etc)

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

If you're wondering why you're getting view but not answers-

I personally don't know because I don't own that model motorcycle.
But if you lived next door and asked my advice my first response would be to ask if you have the service manual handy.
Then we'd both know the answers to your questions.

(but I've been known to buy the service manual before buying the vehicle so I'm a little odd that way.....)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Thanks for the reply. I do have the service manual. The service manual doesn't say what kind of lube to use for things like the kickstand, choke cable, or peg hinges. I'm assuming prob not wd40 =), but i'm not sure what kind. Also the service manual doesn't specify synthetic oil or not. I've been told by a shop to use the regular oil, because i wouldn't notice a difference. But I've read on other forums that synthetic oil makes a huge difference.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

What oil to use is often a religious issue rather than a technical one. You can experiment and see for yourself.
I mostly use synthetic as it's technically better but I don't always use it. Ensure that what you use meets the specs needed- the US EPA caused ZDDP to be removed from automobile oils which make car oil a threat to moto camshafts. So use motorcycle oil.

kickstand and peg hinges - use whatcha got (used motor oil, drippings from and empty oil bottle, sewing machine oil etc)
WD40 is not really lubricant. It evaporates and leaves residue. But for kickstand and pegs - that would work also.

cable lubes - manual might say. or you can buy cable lube which is very light oil with some graphite in it (same as car door lock lubricant)
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Awesome thank you! I think i want to try out Mobile 1 10w-40 synthetic racing oil. But it says for sports bikes..

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

BigCollectors wrote:Awesome thank you! I think i want to try out Mobile 1 10w-40 synthetic racing oil. But it says for sports bikes..
Ha! That's marketing for you.....
If the certifications and viscosity match what your manual calls for then use it. "racing oil" sounds better than "motor oil" to the marketing geniuses.
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by BigCollectors »

haha, yeah good point. I figured that was the case but the marketing has got so crazy now days. When i went to get oil, i was looking at one brand that had "Motorcycle cruiser oil", "motorcycle speed bike oil", and "jetski oil". But when i looked closer, they all had the same certifications and viscosity... Same thing in three different bottles with three different labels... Anyways thanks again for your help!

Here's the update on the bike. I got amsoil fully synthetic. I got full synthetic because the bike was shifting hard and i heard it would help. It is shifting very smooth now. I also replaced the final drive oil, drained the crankcase breather, replaced the air filter and spark plugs, greased all the hinges on the bike with liquid wrench, visually checked fuel lines and coolant, and i ran seafoam through two tanks of gas. The bike runs so much better now, i'm very happy with it.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Cool! Now go for a ride and enjoy your handiwork. You're good for quite awhile.

(unless you have to dig out that 3 feet of snow in the Northeast.....)
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by BigCollectors »

I took it for a 160 mile drive yesterday! Was a blast =D