JCPenny
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Imaginary...For Now!

Questions from a soon-to-be Rookie!

#1 Unread post by JCPenny »

I've wanted a motorcycle ever since riding on the back of my dad's Marlboro-painted Ducati, in England.

With gas the way it is and me needing a more economical commute it makes sense for me to change our gas guzzling car to a lovely motorcycle, while also fulfilling a long-time passion. (Our car is a Le Baron T&C from 1978 with a 360-hp V8, which by the way we're looking to sell, we're located on the east side of Vancouver Island, get at me if interested, it's in great mechanical shape.)

So my question is about which bike to be looking for and a decent price range (I'm thinking under 3500 would be nice, under 300 ideal), i've been doing research the past few weeks, and have been looking around online for Honda CBR-250's (Love the body-type in the newer models), and the always great Kawasaki Ninja's (Also 250-300).

My needs and stats are :
I live right next to the island highway, which is a Two lane highway and is used to get just about everywhere in my area, with a speed limit of 70-90 km/hr.. And the back streets and roads of a medium sized town. Which is why i'm shying away from a 125cc bike as i don't want to be screaming the engine trying to make speed limit on the highway. (Don't worry i won't be getting on there until i'm comfortable and obviously i'll be taking my motorcycle training course first and foremost.)

The second piece of info i have, is that i'm a very light framed guy. I'm about 5'11, but only weigh around 120lbs and wiry, (i've worked labour and kitchen most of my life so i'm fairly strong for my weight, but a hulking bike will crush me for sure) I'm wondering if that will make a big difference on the bike i should be looking for, whether a heavier bike might be more stable for me, i.e me getting blown around with the highway close to the coast, or whether it will make a 125 cc bike more suited to me.
I don't have a big bank account right now so it would also be great if i could keep the bike for more than a season or two without having to resell and buy another. (another reason for a 250cc) Also a good market and availability for spare parts / replacements would be a a good feature in selecting my first bike.

I love sportbikes, having watched WSB and MotoGP when i was younger, and something with a more modern frame structure would catch my eye. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to read, let me know if there's anything i'm missing here, or that requires more info.

Ride Safe people!

Mithrandir
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: None

Re: Questions from a soon-to-be Rookie!

#2 Unread post by Mithrandir »

JCPenny,

Welcome.

If you have not taken a MSF course (or the Canadian equivalent) I recommend it.
You can learn valuable riding information as well as determining if you really want to ride for under $350 USD (fall 2012).

I do recommend getting quality riding gear. (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, etc.) As someone's signature states: Better to walk away in disgust than ride in an ambulance.

If you are not sure what style of MC you wish to ride, go to different dealerships and sit on several MCs to get a general idea for how the MC fits you. If you can narrow it down to a style (Sport, Standard, Cruiser, Dual Sport, etc.) and a few models, then I would suggest looking at reviews of the models you are interested in getting including forums of the MC of interest.

Since you state an interest in sport bikes go to CBR250 and Ninja 250/300 forums or other models that you find of interest. There will be people in the forums that can give you enough detailed information to make an informed decision.

If you are fortunate to know people near you that ride, then ask their opinion.

I wish you well in your search.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Just a few things you might want to consider...

Alright, You pluralized in there, so you're married or live with your partner. Getting rid of your four wheeled beast at the same time as learning to ride, is not such a good idea. What happens if you really don't like to ride or you're uncomfortable actually being in control. Getting a learners, then the big green N will take some time, and riding with a passenger is not a great plan until you have many kms under your belt. Also, if there is eventually going to be a passenger, take them with you, so they can see how the back seat (pillion) feels. I'll guess that a sport bike's pillion won't be all that comfortable...

Whatever you get for a bike, I wish you all the joy two wheels can bring.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

You noted a few potential bike choices, which are really sensible and appropriate for someone who is just starting out, and should be reliable and fun to use for a few years to maybe even the rest of your riding career. You mentioned getting professionally trained, which is great. Others wrote about good quality gear purchases. The thing that concerns me is that you're planning to have a motorcycle as your only means of transport. Renting a van or cab when you need the carrying capacity should be easy enough. But what about weather? Are you (and your passenger) willing to ride during the coldest, wettest days of winter? Just something to consider.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JCPenny
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Imaginary...For Now!

#5 Unread post by JCPenny »

I should of mentioned that the car selling is a totally separate issue. We are selling that car and replacing it with something more practical and fuel efficient. (it also just irreparably broke down a few weeks ago which is awful timing) my lady needs a car to run her catering business and we would never do without a car regardless. For campig etc. The motorcycle will be for me only, as a pleasurable activity and a to and from work or close by commute.
I also will not be having a passenger until i have at least a season or two under my belt.
The info I was most interested in was, and is, is a lighter bike more suitable for a lighter rider and is the opposite true, ie heavy for heavy. Or will a heavier bike keep me more stable (obviously heavier to balance) will a 250 last me more than thru my training beginner days, and will it be comfortable on a Canadian highway (90-100km limit )
And also a few tips of what to look out for and what to stay away from in a used bike that a novice might not know about. (I understand the basic principles of buying used, ie low mileage, nothing heavily modded for a first bike, and nothing that seems its been driven past its limits continuously.)
Thank you for the feedback so far I appreciate it very much.
Oh ps is it really ideal to buy a bike during winter/fall ? For best prices ? Should I be looking December/January or more like September/October

Thanks guys & gals

Trobairitz
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Gladius

#6 Unread post by Trobairitz »

Just piping in with my 2 cents. I started on a Suzuki TU250 and rode it for just over 3,000 miles in a year before moving up to a Suzuki SFV Gladius (which I've now had for 3 years)

While I appreciated a wet weight of only 326 lbs on the 250 a little bigger cc's and heavier (446 lbs) bike makes a big difference. I could ride the 250 on the freeways here in Oregon if necessary, but it wasn't the greatest, it would keep up when necessary for short stints. Head winds I'd have to tuck down with the chest on the tank to streamline and side winds were iffy.

With you being on the island, I am thinking wind might be a factor as well.

Find something that is comfortable to you that is small enough to learn on and hone your skills and then if you choose to sell after a year or so you won't lose money. Or something in the 500-650cc range that will last you a little longer, but is still mild enough to be controllable.

As long as you can control your throttle wrist a larger cc bike (within reason) shouldn't be a problem.

For comparison - I am 5'7" and 145 lbs.
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." - Daniel Knode

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

JCPenny wrote:The info I was most interested in was, and is, is a lighter bike more suitable for a lighter rider and is the opposite true, ie heavy for heavy. Or will a heavier bike keep me more stable (obviously heavier to balance) will a 250 last me more than thru my training beginner days, and will it be comfortable on a Canadian highway (90-100km limit )
Interesting. I've never heard of a rule of thumb relative to rider weight (like an ideal rider weight/bike weight ratio, for instance). Someone told me a rule of thumb for new riders, but they're all maximums; an ideal first bike shouldn't exceed 50hp, 50lb/ft of torque, and 500lbs, but all of the bikes you're looking at already fall well within this reccommendation.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Although the Honda CBR 125 can do what you ask it, if you get licensed on it, you will be limited to 125cc. You will have to do another test when you are ready to upgrade.

If you don't want to do another test later, then starting with 250 is a better choice.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#9 Unread post by faded sun »

Welcome to the TMW forum Jack!

I would say you are fine to start with anything from a 250 Ninja to a 500GS or anything in between. Either way, if you get a good used bike you are pretty well guaranteed to be able to re-sell it a year later for pretty much what you paid for it if you feel ready to try a bigger or different bike. Anything in that range will keep up with highway traffic with a rider of your weight.

The wind issue you raise is not so much a matter of weight as it is simply experience riding. There is a lot of centrifugal force generated by the rotation of your wheels and the bike will naturally tilt into the wind to keep you going in the right (same) direction as long as you don't over-react to it. Once you are used to that the only real trouble you will have is really gusty conditions and adjusting to sharp, quick changes in air "pressure". And if the weather is that bad you can certainly slow down a bit and no one is gonna think any less of you.

I am 5'8" and 128 pounds soaking wet and I have ridden from a 125 to an 1100 on the street and none of them felt any different in a strong side wind.

Since you live on Vancouver Island you will need to invest in rain gear but the good thing is you can then drive year 'round unlike those of us in Toronto.

Don't forget to post a picture of your bike when you get it.

Ride safe!
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.