Nun
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: N/A

Dual Sport or Motorcycle?

#1 Unread post by Nun »

I am 20 years old and need to get some kind of transportation. I am about 5'10" and weigh so where around 230.
I am thinking of getting a dual sport. I am in college and drive about 80 miles on Tuesday and Thursday. I ride about 20 miles at a time because I go to multiple campuses.

History of Riding: Started dirt biking in middle school bought my own bike it was a ttr 125 with a bbk and full exhaust, about 2 months later my dad saw I was doing good so he bought a built race cr80 big wheel from a friend, later on I moved to riding a GasGas250 2 stroke which is amazingly fun. I have ridden about 21 different dirt bikes ranging from an old I think Kawasaki 110cc 2 stroke to a xr650. On the road I have ridden an 2005 s40 , 2005 v-star 650, and a 2005 kawasaki Mean Streak (we have had good luck with 2005).

Questions:

1) How comfortable is it to ride a dual sport for an hour in traffic and at 80mph?
2) Whats the Average MPG on a DS vs Motorcycle?
3) Should I be looking for a motorcycle or DS?
4) If I am looking for a DS, what is your thought on a good versatile DS that can go 80mph?
5) How do 2 strokes play on the road(think they drink too much gas just wondering)?
6) What is the recommended gear? (I know helmet #1)
I dont have a price range because I dont want to put a goofy range.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Dual Sport or Motorcycle?

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Nun wrote:
1) How comfortable is it to ride a dual sport for an hour in traffic and at 80mph?
4) If I am looking for a DS, what is your thought on a good versatile DS that can go 80mph?
5) How do 2 strokes play on the road(think they drink too much gas just wondering)?
You seem to treat DS and Motorcycle as different things. They aren't as far as I can tell.
DS is a motorcycle with slightly different features than a road-only bike. Model specifics would help the discussion. Some bikes have comfy seats, some use solid steel planking (it seems). Some research is needed.

What's average mileage? Depends on the bike. A 250 will get better than a 1200.

80 mph requires power. Streetable 250 probably won't go that fast.Some of the 650s might get that fast but likely wouldn't be very happy at that speed. This requires research.

Street legal 2 strokes only occur in the used bike world and they would be quite old. Not really an option.

Gear- Helmet, boots, full finger gloves, motorcycle specific (leather or textile) jacket, motorcycle pants (leather or textile). Rain gear too. Yes, all that stuff is hot in summer. Or roll the dice and choose the long hospital stay instead......

I've heard that some drivers in Florida use the Braille method of navigation. Consider that in your decision making process.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

+1 what ^ said.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

Get a Kawasaki Versys 650...it will do everything you are looking for...not a true dual sport, but will have the similar seating you are looking for and be okay in gravel...it will do the speed you are looking for all day and be comfortable.

Also the Suzuki V-Strom DL650 is another good choice along the same vein.

These two bikes are more like a crossover between a street bike & a dual sport...more street than dirt, but still capable...both should be available in the used market.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I concur with Jack the Versys is your best bet, but your not gonna go from the road to the hare scramble with it or an Aprillia Shiva? not sure what it is. Also as GS stated some research is in order best of luck with your choice.
Dave
there aint nothin like it

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

There's always the klr 650 as well, the BMW 650gs, ktm or even a buell Ulysses.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#7 Unread post by gsJack »

Nun wrote:I am 20 years old and need to get some kind of transportation. I am about 5'10" and weigh so where around 230.
I am thinking of getting a dual sport. I am in college and drive about 80 miles on Tuesday and Thursday. I ride about 20 miles at a time because I go to multiple campuses........................................ I have ridden about 21 different dirt bikes ranging from an old I think Kawasaki 110cc 2 stroke to a xr650. On the road I have ridden an 2005 s40 , 2005 v-star 650, and a 2005 kawasaki Mean Streak (we have had good luck with 2005).

Questions:

First let me say I consider a 500cc bike to be a go anywhere, do anything type bike as far as street bikes go. I've ridden a couple GS500s for the last 14 years and 180,000 miles and 10 years ago was doing 400-500 mile Interstate days at 75-80 mph indicated on them travelling to the mountains to play.

You seem to be interested in a DS, I've never ridden one but have ridden with them. There aren't many 250 DS that will go the 80 mph you want but there were a couple from Kawasaki and Yamaha that came in both SM and DS form that had top speeds over 80 mph, they were quite pricey though. The Ninja 250 and CBR250R sportbike types will go 80 all day long. I see you have ridden 3 cruisers, a Vulcan 500 would be my choice of cruiser if I wanted one and there should be some good used ones at good prices if you want one.

When I read your post yesterday the KLR650 was first to come to mind and I see the previous poster just mentioned it. Still available new and it's been built almost forever so should be available at almost any price you want to pay. Won't have the mpg of a 250 but still pretty good. Here's a copy of the data from an 03 CW comparo test that I saved because they liked the GS500 best. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/ ... c4e2d0.jpg

The complete test is on my Photobucket site so you can find it there, should be still marked for public. Covers the KLR650, V Star 650, Vulcan 500, and Savage aka S-40 mentioned above.

By the way I was 230-240#, 6'-2", and 68-72 yo back 10 years ago when I made the long fast trips on my GSs. About your size then but I'm only about 5-10 now, shrinking fast. LOL

Duncan_5
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Royal Enfiel

#8 Unread post by Duncan_5 »

Thanks for the post!