jamesjohnson5551
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson Street 750

Re: Helmet Fit Guidelines...

#42 Unread post by jamesjohnson5551 »

Nice and useful post. Thank you so much for sharing.

JohnnyS89
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja

#43 Unread post by JohnnyS89 »

Thank you for posting this. Having the right helmet fit is so important. I am currently in the market for a new helmet and I really appreciate the extra information.

Julia33
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2006 Harley Davidson Softail

#44 Unread post by Julia33 »

That explains a bit why those helmets are so darn expensive. Of course I'm not skimping on them, but still.

MarkF55
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

#45 Unread post by MarkF55 »

This is the best thing I've ever read on helmet fit and I'm in my sixties, started riding at about 15. I realize it was posted over a dozen years ago, but hear hear!

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

#46 Unread post by centerstand65 »

Impact mitigation is certainly important, but if a helmet is uncomfortable to be in during a ride, your ability to concentrate will decrease. I find that brand new helmets take several thousand miles to break in whereas used lids are comfortable right out of the box. When looking for a new lid, I look on eBay for Arai and Icon helmets with already sweaty liners. It's sweat that softens padding and makes it natural. Also, the natural smells in well worn helmets are much less distracting than what you get when you put on something that is brand new.

When looking for a new helmet, I suggest looking at those that other guys were in, first. What's used to someone else is new to you. Getting in another guy's well worn lid for the very first time is one of the best experiences of comfort that you can get. A well worn lid goes on easy and the straps buckle into place like they've done thousands of times before. The feeling and smell are awesome, too. Until you try it, you cannot know what it's like.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#47 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

centerstand65 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 am Impact mitigation is certainly important, but if a helmet is uncomfortable to be in during a ride, your ability to concentrate will decrease. I find that brand new helmets take several thousand miles to break in whereas used lids are comfortable right out of the box. When looking for a new lid, I look on eBay for Arai and Icon helmets with already sweaty liners. It's sweat that softens padding and makes it natural. Also, the natural smells in well worn helmets are much less distracting than what you get when you put on something that is brand new.

When looking for a new helmet, I suggest looking at those that other guys were in, first. What's used to someone else is new to you. Getting in another guy's well worn lid for the very first time is one of the best experiences of comfort that you can get. A well worn lid goes on easy and the straps buckle into place like they've done thousands of times before. The feeling and smell are awesome, too. Until you try it, you cannot know what it's like.
You obviously never read the first item in this thread. If it takes a thousand miles for a new helmet to feel right, then you're doing something wrong. You do what works for you.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#48 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Lion_Lady wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:59 pmYou obviously never read the first item in this thread. If it takes a thousand miles for a new helmet to feel right, then you're doing something wrong. You do what works for you.
Quote for attention. :) I've been following this thread as a matter of curiosity for a few months now, and I'm convinced the OP MUST be just trolling. Who in god's name wants a sweaty, stained helmet?? I don't even let MY helmet get sweaty, that lining comes out once every three or six months and goes through the wash! And I wear a balaclava to minimize the headsmell.

Movaelano
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2015 Ninja 300

#49 Unread post by Movaelano »

Just wondering if anyone had experience of using Bluetooth headphones and mic inside a motorcycle helmet? I'm not talking about the intercoms just regular earphones and mic?

I want able to listen to google nav and potentially use a Bluetooth intercom app.

I know this isn't going to be as good as a decent intercom but I'm doing a bit of research and putting money aside bit by bit for something decent like a scala unit with mesh networking.

Any hints, tips, other ideas greatly received.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#50 Unread post by jstark47 »

Movaelano wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am Just wondering if anyone had experience of using Bluetooth headphones and mic inside a motorcycle helmet? I'm not talking about the intercoms just regular earphones and mic?
Movaelano, I'm not sure what you mean by Bluetooth headphones vs. intercoms? My wife and I use Cardo Scala Rider G9's, which are Bluetooth-powered communicators, to talk to each other when riding our bikes. The only thing that goes inside the helmet on these is the headphones and mic. The rest of the system (which is very small) clips onto the outside of the helmet. But back in the day when we were using a hardwired Autocom system, even with that technology the only thing inside the helmet was the headphones and mic.

I use a Kabuto Kamui helmet (unfortunately no longer imported into the USA), which has the feature of very large internal cutouts around the ears - works really well for people who wear eyeglasses. Those cutouts also accommodate the headphones easily - I don't even know they're there. My wife has her headphones mounted in her HJC CL-16 helmet and tells me she has no issue with discomfort. She also has hers integrated with her iPhone and her Garmin GPS.

(By the way, G9's are a fairly old system now, we got ours a long time ago. Cardo has other, more modern models now - the cheapest seems to be $139 US, don't know what it would be in the UK.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S