full face vs open face helmet

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: full face vs open face helmet

#21 Unread post by ceemes »

My first helmet was a used (yeah I was a noob at the time and didn't know any better) first or second generation full faced helmet that had a rather thin visor with pop snaps to keep it closed, soon learn that you left one of the snaps open in order to let it breath and not fog up. Peripheral visibility of those early generation full faced helmets was horrible, as was the wind noise and comfort. Later I got a Shoei and then a Kiwi. Much better all round. Today I use a HJC and there is no way I would ride anywhere without it, even if it just up to the local gas station to fill up or use their wash bay.
Always ask why.

mgold
Regular
Regular

#22 Unread post by mgold »

Have you tried or looked at any Modular Full-Face Helmets? I didn't like Full-Face Helmets either, but didn't want to wear an Open-Face Helmet with no good protection. I would check NewEnough.com for some good deals on Helmets. Even if it's more expensive, I considered my safety first, instead of what looked cool!

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#23 Unread post by sunshine229 »

mgold wrote:Have you tried or looked at any Modular Full-Face Helmets?
These flip-type helmets are an option, but no doubt you will get some flack on here about the safety of them. Whilst all helmets are DOT approved (or equivalent in countries outside of North America), the flip-types are apparently not approved by any addtional agencies. You can take that to mean whatever you like.

I'd still stick with full face if your entire head is important enough to you. You'll get used to wearing it.

:twocents:
Andrea :sun:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#24 Unread post by HYPERR »

sunshine229 wrote:
mgold wrote:Have you tried or looked at any Modular Full-Face Helmets?
These flip-type helmets are an option, but no doubt you will get some flack on here about the safety of them. Whilst all helmets are DOT approved (or equivalent in countries outside of North America), the flip-types are apparently not approved by any addtional agencies. You can take that to mean whatever you like.

I'd still stick with full face if your entire head is important enough to you. You'll get used to wearing it.

:twocents:
+1

I would think the jaw protection factor is severely compromised on the modular compared to the full face.

Not only that, with the lower part flipped up on modulars, one usually lights up the geek meter full tilt. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#25 Unread post by storysunfolding »

HYPERR wrote: Not only that, with the lower part flipped up on modulars, one usually lights up the geek meter full tilt. :laughing:
check out the shark modular. They've made significant improvements in the way the jaw fastens to the helmet and how the modular part melds into the design when all the way open.

Still it's full face for me
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#26 Unread post by HYPERR »

storysunfolding wrote:
HYPERR wrote: Not only that, with the lower part flipped up on modulars, one usually lights up the geek meter full tilt. :laughing:
check out the shark modular. They've made significant improvements in the way the jaw fastens to the helmet and how the modular part melds into the design when all the way open.

Still it's full face for me

Me too. It's the only way to go IMO. :ninja:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#27 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I just thought about the geek factor and maybe I was wrong.

Does anyone remember Babylon 5?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#28 Unread post by HYPERR »

storysunfolding wrote:I just thought about the geek factor and maybe I was wrong.
Yep u were wrong bigtime. :laughing:

Super geek factor with the "take me to your leader" factor thrown in for good measure. :mrgreen:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#29 Unread post by BuzZz »

Some of the new modular helmets meet the new Euro specs for fullface helmets, but most don't yet. Most haven't ever been tested as a fullface yet, either though.

Last summer I wanted to buy one of those Shark modular lids that Story pictured above. Shark deemed that they no longer wish to supply helmets to Canada last year, I'd have to order it from the USA. Too bad I won't buy a lid without trying on first.... it effectively means I will never buy a Shark lid.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

#30 Unread post by NewGuy »

JustMark wrote:Ok, so ive read all the pros for a full face helmet vs open and yet when i bought a helmet i decided to go open face instead. When i was testing the bike out, the guy i was buying it from had a full face he let me borrow. It wasnt comfortable at all. Not that it was tight or loose, i just didnt feel like i could see very well at all. peripheral (sp?) vision seemed minimal at best to me. Am i weird that my first helmet is NOT a full face?
My guess is that you need to have the helmet properly fit. A full face helmet should not interfere with good peripheral vision.

Buying a helmet is, like buying shoes. You shouldn't buy online, because you need the opportunity to try on the helmets and get one that fits you. When I bought my full face helmet the store I went to had me try on a bunch of them, and that I thought might be a good fit they had me wear around the store for at least 10 minutes (I had three potential helmets), so that took about 30 minutes just to check those out. The one I wanted to buy out of those three they had me wear it for an additional 20 minutes, just to be sure it was a very good fit for me. As a result I have a helmet that is excellent. Sure it took some additional time, but it's better than a) getting a helmet and finding out AFTER spending $150 or more that it's not comfortable for the long haul, or b) buying and returning multiple helmets from an online vendor trying to get a good fit.