Workhorse as opposed to pleasure ride ..

amit_shah25
Rookie
Rookie

Workhorse as opposed to pleasure ride ..

#1 Unread post by amit_shah25 »

Just curious here ... How many of you guys use your motorcycle as a workhorse -- commute, errands, grocery, home-depot trips (unless ofcourse if you getting 50 lbs of cement !!!), ride in rain or shine ... as opposed to pleasant weekend rides .. ?

If you do, do you still manage to keep your motorcycle new and shiny ? How do you clean it up ? Just hose it ? Wipe the whole thing with damp sponge etc. ? ...

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#2 Unread post by havegunjoe »

When the weather permits I ride everywhere I possibly can. If it will fit in my saddle bags I take the bike.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#3 Unread post by pchast »

Yes, that's my way to now. Use it as much as I can every reasonable day.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by Skier »

Why bother keeping it clean? If it's in proper mechanical condition, less cleaning means more time for riding.

I once heard someone refer to their motorcycle as a meticulously maintained rolling dirt clod. My bikes fit that bill.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

One of my bikes is a V-strom with 3 hard cases. During decent weather it is my daily work commuter. (Not today- 21 degrees F with 50 mph wind gusts.... brrrrrrr!)

V-stroms tend to have a patina of crud - it's their natural condition. I mean, the bike is still gonna look like a giant alien bug if you clean it up, so why bother? I clean mine ...... maybe once a year or so!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

amit_shah25
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by amit_shah25 »

Thats how I have kept my car and bicycle ! Not the cleanest vehicles, but always run good !!

But then motorcycle -- Some people are fussy about it .. :P So that got me wondering ! If you use something on a daily basis, how can u keep it clean !!! And like skier said, I would rather spend my time riding than cleaning ...

Actually the thing is, I got my current used suzuki from such an owner. Really nice guy. Very very meticulously maintained motorcycle. Looks like brand spanking new !

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

Mine is both a workhorse and a pleasure ride......and it looks the part....hose it down once a week during the winter to remove salt, then maybe once in awhile during the rest of the year.....its meant to be ridden, not looked at.
Always ask why.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

My VFR is my workhorse - and I use it for touring or even carrying things as I pretty much keep the bags on it year round. My Superduke is my fun bike, which is supposed to just be for ripping around. That's my sales pitch to Mrs High_Side as to why I need two bikes. Now, The VFR is fun to rip around on as well - but keep it quiet, and the Duke would be comfortable for touring and has decent range - but you didn't hear it from me.. This is why everyone needs at least two bikes. I am still working the dual-purpose angle - which is why I will need three :P

amit_shah25
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by amit_shah25 »

High_Side wrote:This is why everyone needs at least two bikes. I am still working the dual-purpose angle - which is why I will need three :P
He heeeee ! :mrgreen:

I had a car and bicycle. Motorcycle is the latest addition to the family ! Luckily my wife rides bicycle too so it was all smooth shopping so far. So far, wifey has not shown any resistance to motorcycle. She is taking her road test next week, and I am hoping that she rides that too ! If she enjoys, that's gonna be awsome !!