kuz
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Helmet question

#1 Unread post by kuz »

Someone asked me what I thought about buying a used helmet. Supposedly in very good condition, 3 years old. I said I'd avoid a used helmet, what do the more experienced folks out there think. Thanks

siralienj
Regular
Regular

#2 Unread post by siralienj »

Old helmets are for the occasional passenger and riding in dune buggies and not to be bought and sold.

The inner guts of most helmets is styrofoam. After a few times wearing the helmet it starts to take the shape of the wearers head. Plus, you have no clue as to how many times that thing has been dropped.
2007 Honda Shadow Aero
Want: HD 1200 Custom or 1200N, Dyna Low Rider or Victory Vegas 8-Ball. And the list keeps growing.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Besides the good points siralienj made, a lot of people think the helmet's polystyrene lining loses its ability to be compressed after 5 years or so. At that point the helmet is no longer able to protect your brain by aborbing shock. So why get a helmet that's already lost a major part of its useful lifespan? It's not worth the savings - unless you got a spare brain sitting around.... :humm:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

Use it as a planter.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Banned
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Banned »

rather than make a new topic i decided to ask here.

If a helmet is DOT and Snell certified does that mean the characteristics are different from a DOT ONLY certified helmet?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

As I understand it,

DOT certification is required for street legal helmets in the US. It is up to the manufacturer to follow and meet the specifications for DOT certification. Only around 40 styles/brands of helmet are tested by the Dept of Transportation each year to confirm they meet the set standard. So, it is wise to buy a known/recognized brand helmet - there is a reputation to uphold.

SNELL certification is voluntary. There are additional tests that must be passed to get the SNELL mark. Helmet makers submit their helmet to the SNELL Foundation for testing and approval.

All SNELL certified helmets meet the DOT standard, but not all DOT helmets meet the SNELL standard.

A study was done a couple(?) years ago and published that seemed to indicate that some SNELL standards put the rider at greater risk.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#7 Unread post by XB08 »

They say you sould replace your helmet every five years, I replace mine every three years, so all ready you won't have it for long. if the helmet was ever drop( 6" on hard groung) It needs to be replaced and you might think it is good. Bottom line is it is your head.

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

Re: Helmet question

#8 Unread post by centerstand65 »

It's no sweat. Money-wise, used is the only way to go. The only sweat will be in your new well-worn lid which just adds character.

Wilderman
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: BMW

#9 Unread post by Wilderman »

Wearing a helmet is the single most effective way of reducing head injuries and fatali- ties resulting from motorcycle and bicycle crashes. Motorcyclists who do not wear helmets are at a much higher risk of sustaining head injuries and from dying from these injuries.

KayBur
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: JAWA 350 OHC Prima

#10 Unread post by KayBur »

Hello. I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't take a used helmet. Firstly, it is not hygienic (even if you wash it, it is not a fact that it will be perfectly cleaned), and secondly, you do not know how it was treated before you, whether there are microcracks on the helmet or not.