Never Been A Passenger - Need Help

DaniGirl10
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Never Been A Passenger - Need Help

#1 Unread post by DaniGirl10 »

Hi All

My boyfriend got a sport bike a couple of months ago, his first, and thinks he is ready to have me ride with him. I am really excited to but am not sure how I need to hold on. It may sound kind of dumb but I don't want to be in his way or throw off the bike while riding. I have riden with my dad who has a Harley which has a large seat with backrest on it for a passenger so that wasn't intimidating, plus he's a big guy with a heavy bike and I'm only 110lbs. The sport bike is way different and barely has a passenger seat. We did a test drive up the driveway and i felt like I was in his way while holding on around his waist plus I would think our helmets would bump a lot like that. I just want to make sure i don't get in the way of his movement and that we are SAFE!

Anyone have some suggestions?
Dani

siralienj
Regular
Regular

#2 Unread post by siralienj »

I may as well be the first to say it. If this is his first bike, he probably isn't ready to have you as a passenger.

And yes, the best place to hold on with a sport bike is around his waist.
2007 Honda Shadow Aero
Want: HD 1200 Custom or 1200N, Dyna Low Rider or Victory Vegas 8-Ball. And the list keeps growing.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

If he's ready, then yeah hold on around his waist... It's the most secure way to hold on on a sportbike. If you're worried about bumping helmets, look over one shoulder or the other. Just make sure to keep balanced on the bike or you'll throw the whole balance off. Other than that don't move around much and when cornering look over his inside shoulder. That's all the advice I have for you!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

DaniGirl10
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by DaniGirl10 »

Thanks for being honest. We are still going to wait a little while to longer to ride to make sure he is ready, plus i don't have a helmet yet but when we are ready I'll be sure to not move around. I'm taking both of your advice.
Dani

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#5 Unread post by dean owens »

if you have the time and money, something good to do would be for him to take the ERC. from what i understand, it's the BRC but on your own bike. and if you ride with a passenger they can ride with you while you're at the course. i don't know that i'd let that be my first time riding with him, but it could be pretty helpful for both of you. just thinking out loud... the earlier advice is better but i figured i'd throw this out there.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

You might find these articles useful. There are four of them:

Pre-ride Briefing For Your New Passenger: S/he is the BOSS, but you set the rules

Your First Passenger: Neither your lady nor your child!

Passengers Are NOT Helpless: Should something happen to the rider . . .

Adding A Passenger: After 6 months of experience you are still NOT ready

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=3

Good luck, take care.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Danigirl... Hi. Welcome!

If your boyfriend hasn't given you good instructions on how/where to hold on, he is definitely not ready for a passenger. It is up to the rider to make sure the passenger (pillion) is safe and knows what to do/not to do.

I'm an MSF instructor, here in Maryland... where do you folks live? Has your bf taken the ERC? If not, that is a good place to start. Unfortunately, in MD you can't take that with a pillion. But it is taught on your own motorcycle.

What kind of bike does he have?

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

vtrrider
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by vtrrider »

I was the same way when my husband got his bike. He has a gs500f which isnt has leaned forward as some other bikes but I put my palms face down on his legs. I'm not sure if this would work for you or not. But it works the best for me....holding around his waist kills my back ...where as putting my hands on his legs kind of lets me brace myself and I asked him and he said its good.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#9 Unread post by Amdonim »

I agree with the others, give him some more time to get used to it. The bike is going to act strangely the first time he rides 2-up and he's going to need experience to cope. And he should also find some articles/books about riding 2-up to study first. I remember reading about some good exercises you can both do in a parking lot.

Edit: Make sure you also have riding gear. You're just as prone to injury as the pilot, so you need the same gear. This is the biggest reason why I never ride 2-up.

MTNMAN800
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by MTNMAN800 »

Others have said it but let me re-state with a little more emphasis.

Don't move around much! Be as still as possible and mimic his every move trying to keep the two of you "acting as one" while on the bike. Even when its stopped. If you need to re-adjust or some larger movement, let him know.

When getting on and off the bike, make sure he is ready. Give him a minute to get a firm footing, bike nice and straight, and front brake on and let him tell you when he is ready.

Also, let me agree with everyone else in regards that HE is not ready for you yet, experience wise. Give him some more time riding single before you tandem ride. We understand that both of you are anxious to go riding but wait until he is better prepared to handle both of you.