Commuting / K - 12 public schools

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

Commuting / K - 12 public schools

#1 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

At some point in time, I want to commute with my bike. However, I currently only have about 600 miles of experience. I have ridden my commute route(about 40 miles one way...mostly highways too) during off-peak hours, but was wondering whether I should put on more miles before trying it. One person suggested that I start with commuting one day a week and then adding days as I feel more comfortable.

Also, does anyone commute to a K - 12 public school? I work at a school and I'm somewhat worried that the kids(students) might play with it after school or something(I can't leave right after school so it'll be sitting in the parking lot for a while...and I won't be in an area to keep an eye on it). I'm also not sure if motorcycles are allowed. There is a sentence in the handbook saying that parents can't bring their children on a motorcycle, but nothing about staff riding a motorcycle to work. Anyone work in a place where motorcycles are banned?(Is that even legal?)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

acritzer
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by acritzer »

I will probably be commuting to a 7-12 building when I get up and running. I've also thought about "problems" from the lovely little darlings. Fortunately, I get out there pretty quickly, so I don't know that they would have too much of a chance to goof around.

I can't imagine they would have a problem with you riding a bike to work. I know our school doesn't mind.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by roscowgo »

Mount a holster for your shotgun on the bars.

They'll leave it alone.

Derail
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by Derail »

Don't know where you live but at my high school students rode their bikes to school. As for commuting it depends what you are comfortable, i bought my bike the day after i started a new job and its been my only transportation since. Rain and shine to and from school/work. Just be careful and take it slow :)

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#5 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

If you feel comfortable doing the commute on it, I say go for it.

Different people pick up things at different speeds & attitudes (hell, you should know that working at a school :wink: )

For me, I was comfortable (and safe-ish) from day one riding everywhere, for others it takes time. But not knowing you, no-one here can really give you advice on if you're ready or not, only on how to stop kids messing with your bike.

Park it where its as visable as possible from classrooms and the like, and I'd expect it to be ok. Kids usually aren't stupid enough to do things they shouldn't in openly visable areas
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by Veda »

A cover might help keep little fingers from poking buttons and turning nobs. Also will keep kids from trying to sit on it.

atom
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by atom »

I commute on my bike almost everyday to an alternative school for truant students. No one has messed with my bike. But we have <30 students in the school.
When the devil came, he was not red,
he was chrome and he said "come with me"
-Wilco

2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 50 4T
2005 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 ie

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#8 Unread post by flynrider »

atom wrote:I commute on my bike almost everyday to an alternative school for truant students. No one has messed with my bike. But we have <30 students in the school.
I think I can guess why that is. :laughing: :laughing:
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to try a cover to keep unwanted hands off. I'll also probably take at least one more practice run before trying it during morning/afternoon commute times.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Skel3tor1
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Skel3tor1 »

As a student, I rode my motorcycle while in high school. The worst that ever happened to it was someone took a paint ball gun to the spokes/wheel. It washed off easy enough. My bike was there during school and even after school for about two hours as I was very active in athletics.
[img]http://www.skel3tor1.com/images/bikesigtm.jpg[/img]
Michael
Honda Rebel 250
[url=http://www.skel3tor1.com/main/blogs/index.php?blog=9]View[/url] my motorcycle blog or [url=http://www.youtube.com/skel3tor1]Watch[/url] my videos.