flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Motorcycle clubs

#1 Unread post by flw »

I never belonged to a motorcycle club for no particular reason. Yet I see one listed on google "motorcycle club" and A.B.A.T.E.

I've read some of thier info and it seems more of a legal motorcycle rights organization than any type of riding club? BTW this is in the U.S.

Can anyone give me the short scoupe on this group or club?

Also are there any national riding clubs in the U.S. that do not focus on riding from one bar to another on each weekend? I don't drink before or while driving and never have. I don't know how exclusive the A.A. riding clubs are for those with no drinking problems since the only difference is they don't drink due to the disease and I don't because I choose not to.

Thoughts on A.B.A.T.E. or A.A. riding clubs?
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The Southern Cruisers Riding Club have chapters all over North America.
The International Star Riders Association have chapters all over the place as well.

Google in SCRC and then look for a chapter in your area.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

A.B.A.T.E. is a political action group acting as a motorcycle club.I was a member years ago and the focus of the group was political action that is pro-motorcycle. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact it's a good thing. But don't join a group like A.B.A.T.E. if your looking for a riding or a social club.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

anarchy
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by anarchy »

as mentioned - a.b.a.t.e. is more of a political action group...

check out no rules riders - they may have something in your area. if not, create one...

grymlocke
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by grymlocke »

i've been looking for a group to ride/hang with but after going to most of the ones in my area that I could find, I still haven't felt that 'connection' yet....
maybe I should start my own...the 'B.R.A.V.E.'
(Biker Riding Alternative V-twin Engines) for those of us that AREN'T part of the harley cult... :laughing: :twisted:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

I was lucky. The local chapter of RAT (Riders' Association of Triumph) turned out to be very active, and consists of very nice people. It fills all my "social motorcycling" needs.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Another good place for leads would be a dealer that sells your brand. They'll know the area and whether or not there are any clubs nearby.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#8 Unread post by NorthernPete »

theres also Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc. they have agroup up here where I live, I went on a little trip with them, had a pretty good time, they ahve alot of events and what mot Ive been told. there is a fee to join though, but its not too much (a little more if your not a gold wing rider, but theyre good about it)

http://www.gwrra.org/
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: Motorcycle clubs

#9 Unread post by Bubba »

flw wrote:I never belonged to a motorcycle club for no particular reason. Yet I see one listed on google "motorcycle club" and A.B.A.T.E.
I've read some of thier info and it seems more of a legal motorcycle rights organization than any type of riding club? BTW this is in the U.S.
Can anyone give me the short scoupe on this group or club?
Also are there any national riding clubs in the U.S. that do not focus on riding from one bar to another on each weekend? I don't drink before or while driving and never have. I don't know how exclusive the A.A. riding clubs are for those with no drinking problems since the only difference is they don't drink due to the disease and I don't because I choose not to.
Thoughts on A.B.A.T.E. or A.A. riding clubs?
You are correct about the 'clubs' you mention. These 'clubs' ABATE etc. are a money making organization and like joining the Boy Scouts.
Some people love clubs and they can be fun, where you have the camaraderie of people like you and the safety of riding with a large group.
These groups also can have their down side. They can turn out to be very 'clickish'. You also have to remember that you go where they go. If I am to ride in a group, I've always found it nice to be with just a few close friends, going to a specific place we all want to go to or just out for along weekend ride going no where in particular.
I tried the 'club' route but didn't particularly like it. There's always the 'wives' that come along and if you are a single guy, the 'men' of the group shun you because they think you're going to hit on their old ladies. Bring along an attractive date on a ride and all of a sudden these guys are your best friend.
That's my impression. You might give a 'club' a go and decide for yourself.
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

Skel3tor1
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Skel3tor1 »

blues2cruise wrote:The Southern Cruisers Riding Club have chapters all over North America.
The International Star Riders Association have chapters all over the place as well.

Google in SCRC and then look for a chapter in your area.
Thanks for the tip Blues2cruise. Found a local chapter, they don't require any monthly dues or any money to be spent. Seems like a cool crowd and I need to go on some rides with em eventually. :P
[img]http://www.skel3tor1.com/images/bikesigtm.jpg[/img]
Michael
Honda Rebel 250
[url=http://www.skel3tor1.com/main/blogs/index.php?blog=9]View[/url] my motorcycle blog or [url=http://www.youtube.com/skel3tor1]Watch[/url] my videos.