You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Damian
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#161 Unread post by Damian »

Peter Y wrote:
TKDean wrote:i actually meant Suzuki GS500F (a little underpowered) not GS600F sorry.

im 5'10" about 190 pounds don't know about the inseam.

of all those bikes id still prefer the Katana. it looks great, has a nice riding position, and i can get a good used one for about 2-3 grand. but after reading about the dangers of 600cc bikes for noobs i m not so sure now. do you think it might be a little too powerful? i also think it might be a little too heavy for a first bike. however I've never ridden a bike before so i wouldn't know.
just get the Katana and be smart. I bought a Katana two months ago as my first bike and its great. Sporty yet conservative. Keep in mind it is heavy but im not a small guy either.

Good luck......
Yup.

I got a Katana 600 as my first bike a few months ago and I'd second what Peter just wrote. It is a little heavy, but after some practicing I can do u-turns and figure 8's without a problem. And it's lighter than many of the cruisers people here recommend for new riders. It does have some power, but it comes on predictably; it's not a super sport.
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

Jadien
Elite
Elite

#162 Unread post by Jadien »

I can speak for the GS500F not being underpowered....

I weigh aboout 265 on a good day, and my little Gaby took me from 50 to 100 in two shakes of a cat's tail..... I actually didn't notice as I was on the freeway for the first time and was more concerned with the traffic around me than my speed ("squid!"). Don't be concerned with the power issues, as people on here have reported: a Ninja 250 is faster than most cars, 0-60!
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

2004 SV650S

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#163 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey, when looking at horsepwer to weight ratios, keep in mind that my Volusia (50 horses, 50 ft/lbs of torque) weighed 550 lbs DRY. I weigh 300 lbs. So that's about 900 lbs overall. It'd still get me up to 60 faster than most cars out there. I always found it fun to cruise on Friday Saturday nights and pull up to the ricers/tuners. While they're revving at each other, look at them, blip the throttle, slam down the face shield, and kick their butts... :lol: Only ones I couldn't beat are the Neon SRT-4s, the Mitsu Evos, and the Suby WRXs...
Now bring into consideration that my friend on his 650R could beat the crap outta me without even trying...
Wrider
Oh, and with all that weight, the gearing ratio has a lot to do with it too, as the bike's top speed was about 100 MPH with the motor screaming (6K rpms)
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

D675
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

600 cc - first damn bike

#164 Unread post by D675 »

Against all advice, I recently bought a Triumph Daytona 675 as my first bike. In retrospect, I wish I had got something smaller but what's done is done. The throttle is crazy sensitive (especially on bumpy roads) but other than that things are going smooth, although sometimes I feel the gearbox and/or clutch plate take alot of beating due to my lack of experience.

Any riders out there in the same boat as me? Any tips, advice so I can stay alive another year?
The older I get, the better I was

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
Rookie
Rookie

#165 Unread post by Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R »

The article really opened my eyes. I was considering getting a Triumph Daytona 675 as my first bike, but now I now better. The dealers recommend 600cc bikes for beginners and that's how I got confused and I almost ignore everone's advice here. The thing is that asked 2 people about beginner bikes and they've both said that I should get a 200cc bike and wait about a year. If this was 2006, then I would have looking all over for 200cc-500cc bikes, but I don't have the time or patience to wait 2 years to get a better bike(I have an HDTV I have to pay off first or unless someone knows somebody that's selling a bike for around $300-$600). I know that taking multiple MSF classes won't help me be proficient on a 600cc bike, so , I've decided that I should not get a motorcyle and just get a car instead. I eventully like to ride one day though.
Last edited by Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R on Wed May 23, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My dream bike, the Ducati 1098.

tortus
Elite
Elite

#166 Unread post by tortus »

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R wrote: The dealers recommend 600cc bikes for beginners and that's how I got confused and I almost ignore everone's advice here.
The dealers stand to make money off you, no one here does. Never trust someone who's in a position to get money from you, they will say whatever it takes.

I had a dealer flat out tell me a Buell Lightning x1 is an ideal beginners bike (it has a 1200cc engine and over 100hp!!)

s0crates82
Regular
Regular

#167 Unread post by s0crates82 »

So, yeah.

I'm 5'10, 30" inseam, 240lbs (sturdy build).

Would a Ninja 250 or 500 suit me?

Aesthetically, sportbikes and naked bikes have always appealed to me. Even though a Ninja 250 may be on the lower end of the power hierarchy, I can appreciate its lines, and it'll give me something to learn on before I step up in power/displacement.

I have yet to take the MSF course, get gear, my license, or a bike...

...but I'm studying up first.
<i>You sold me queer giraffes. I want my money back.</i>

1978 Suzuki GS550 SOLD | 1980 Yamaha XS850 SOLD | 2005 Suzuki GS500F

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#168 Unread post by NightNurse »

s0crates82 wrote:So, yeah.

I'm 5'10, 30" inseam, 240lbs (sturdy build).

Would a Ninja 250 or 500 suit me?

Aesthetically, sportbikes and naked bikes have always appealed to me. Even though a Ninja 250 may be on the lower end of the power hierarchy, I can appreciate its lines, and it'll give me something to learn on before I step up in power/displacement.

I have yet to take the MSF course, get gear, my license, or a bike...

...but I'm studying up first.
Go sit on one. My bf is 5'10, 200lbs, 30" inseam, and has ridden a Ninja 250 for a couple of years. He likes how he fits on it just fine!

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
Rookie
Rookie

#169 Unread post by Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R »

I've decided that I shouldn't give up on trying to ride a motorcycle because of time, but thanks to the article, I would like to get a beginner bike for around $1000. Can you guys help?
My dream bike, the Ducati 1098.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#170 Unread post by jonnythan »

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R wrote:I've decided that I shouldn't give up on trying to ride a motorcycle because of time, but thanks to the article, I would like to get a beginner bike for around $1000. Can you guys help?
Ninja 250! ;)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]