You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#141 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Well, I know you read it.. you commented on my post.. Being that it was only a couple of pages ago, I would hope that you would remember ;)
Peter Y wrote:
DivideOverflow wrote:
Yeah, yeah, so you bought a Katana... good for you. I still wouldn't recommend that for a first bike for American riders. I usually stick to the 50/500 rule (under 50 hp and under 500 lbs). With your 4 months euro experience (which you didn't mention in the first place), you are probably fine, but 99% of the riders on here don't get that kind of treatment. The katana has over 50 hp, and is very close to 500 lbs. More importantly, it carries its weight in an awkward top-heavy fashion that I don't recommend for new riders.

You like your bike, good for you. You still won't get me to recommend it to someone who is a true beginner as their first bike.
Come on Divide Overflow I do sense you "reconsidering" your previous comments. Maybe you were just too much of a hard "O Ring" and should have read all the related threads before you jumped all over me. Dont be a dinasour, theres nothing wrong with embracing alternative views.

Never the less I still LUV YA..... :laughing: :laughing:
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#142 Unread post by Peter Y »

DivideOverflowWell, I know you read it.. you commented on my post.. Being that it was only a couple of pages ago, I would hope that you would remember ;)
OK but the question was to the larger auidence also. Not just aimed at a single person. Anyway its too beautiful of a day today to worry about and its Friday. Time to ride.......... :lol:

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#143 Unread post by Nalian »

If you're really that curious, start up a poll in the appropriate forum. :) That question has been answered a ton in this thread alone!

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#144 Unread post by flw »

Just to jump on a point, since I've come back into bikes from decades ago, I'm glad I restarted with a 500cc bike. I can handle the weight easily and I have to screw up more to have the bike get away from me.

The only exception I would have is taller people (I'm only 5'10) in general that can't find a bike of 500cc to ride that is comfortable for at least 60 minutes.

If you want to go long distance, get a plane ticket. You get there in one piece and enjoy your destination. If you insist on a bike, then wait a couple years or more till your that good by other peoples standars, not just your own. Being able to do 80+ down the freeway is not the standard. After comfortable riding on your own, try building up to it with group rides of longer and longer distances first.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

jackc34
Rookie
Rookie

600cc

#145 Unread post by jackc34 »

flw wrote:Just to jump on a point, since I've come back into bikes from decades ago, I'm glad I restarted with a 500cc bike. I can handle the weight easily and I have to screw up more to have the bike get away from me.

The only exception I would have is taller people (I'm only 5'10) in general that can't find a bike of 500cc to ride that is comfortable for at least 60 minutes.

If you want to go long distance, get a plane ticket. You get there in one piece and enjoy your destination. If you insist on a bike, then wait a couple years or more till your that good by other peoples standars, not just your own. Being able to do 80+ down the freeway is not the standard. After comfortable riding on your own, try building up to it with group rides of longer and longer distances first.

Just to clairify,A Honda 600cc supersport CBR is listed as a 600cc,however if you read the specs,the actual size of the engine is in fact a 598cc,now I never said there wasnt any diff between a 500cc and a 600cc,i said the diff was minnor,Also,Let's face it,some people just want a 600cc because it sounds so cool,Well yippy for you,

Pay the outragous insurance,Get ticket after ticket,Get broken bones on of broken bones,I really don't care,But facts are facts,No 600cc is a full on 600cc engine,They are less than 600cc,and a 500cc is less than 500cc,just like a 1000cc is less than 1000cc,It's called Scalling,they scale up the cc to the closet size,ever heard of rounding off to the nearest number?

And in the world of power and insurance,A 500cc falls into the same class as a 600cc,A 250cc falls into the class of a 300cc,400cc,500cc and 600cc's are grouped together,everything from 750cc up is grouped in with the 1000cc bikes,You can sit there and talk about the diff that 100cc's make in a bike,but in the end all you are doing is proving the point that none of you are true riders,You want the power,you want the speed it's all about racing in your head,That's not a true rider,A rider is about the ride,the freedom,the spirit of the ride,Not the (Hey I have a 600cc bike,I can kick your butt)
That way of thought is the reason insurance is to high for everyone,Because of the streat racing jerks and the fools who can't just buy a bike to enjoy the ride,No they have to act like fools,and thus running the overall cost of insurance through the roof for everyone,Same way with these school kids who rush out and buy a Mazda RX8,A Hyundai Tiburon,Why just to race and look like a stud to their friends or to get attention,

Facts are facts,love it or hate it,DEAL WITH IT.enough wasting time on fools and their toys.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#146 Unread post by flw »

Your counter point or point to my post is lost to me in your lengthy response.

There is nothing magical about 500cc. It just a general guideline or opinion. 600 cc is basically the same. You can kill yourself on either and less.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: 600cc

#147 Unread post by Sev »

jackc34 wrote:
flw wrote:Just to jump on a point, since I've come back into bikes from decades ago, I'm glad I restarted with a 500cc bike. I can handle the weight easily and I have to screw up more to have the bike get away from me.

Just to clairify,A Honda 600cc supersport CBR is listed as a 600cc,however if you read the specs,the actual size of the engine is in fact a 598cc,now I never said there wasnt any diff between a 500cc and a 600cc,i said the diff was minnor,Also,Let's face it,some people just want a 600cc because it sounds so cool,Well yippy for you,

Pay the outragous insurance,Get ticket after ticket,Get broken bones on of broken bones,I really don't care,But facts are facts,No 600cc is a full on 600cc engine,They are less than 600cc,and a 500cc is less than 500cc,just like a 1000cc is less than 1000cc,It's called Scalling,they scale up the cc to the closet size,ever heard of rounding off to the nearest number?

And in the world of power and insurance,A 500cc falls into the same class as a 600cc,A 250cc falls into the class of a 300cc,400cc,500cc and 600cc's are grouped together,everything from 750cc up is grouped in with the 1000cc bikes,You can sit there and talk about the diff that 100cc's make in a bike,but in the end all you are doing is proving the point that none of you are true riders,You want the power,you want the speed it's all about racing in your head,That's not a true rider,A rider is about the ride,the freedom,the spirit of the ride,Not the (Hey I have a 600cc bike,I can kick your butt)
That way of thought is the reason insurance is to high for everyone,Because of the streat racing jerks and the fools who can't just buy a bike to enjoy the ride,No they have to act like fools,and thus running the overall cost of insurance through the roof for everyone,Same way with these school kids who rush out and buy a Mazda RX8,A Hyundai Tiburon,Why just to race and look like a stud to their friends or to get attention,

Facts are facts,love it or hate it,DEAL WITH IT.enough wasting time on fools and their toys.
You sure write a lot for someone with nothing to say.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: 600cc

#148 Unread post by jonnythan »

jackc34 wrote:

A Ninja 500 has 54 hp.

A GSX-R600 has 106hp.

So what were you saying about bike class and stuff?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

b!keR
Regular
Regular

#149 Unread post by b!keR »

I will buy r6 2002 and take my chances.Over

and just 1 thing:I know 1 boy my ages.He drop down from 50cc apn bike (this is actually "poo poo" not bike) and stay disabled person.What to say-"poo poo" happens but we can be watchful.Good luck to all

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#150 Unread post by Koss »

Hrm... actually insurance price for a 500cc standard or cruiser is very much different than for a 600cc sportbike. I first payed about $240USD a year for my 500cc standard bike. Later on I got a check in the mail saying they overcharged me $20USD... for the heck of it I priced the same year (2006) (EDIT: now I'm talking about a 600cc sport bike) and same insurance coverage (comprehensive with all the bells and whistles)... and it came out to over $2,000 for one year. Yea... big difference. And also, not all insurance companies in the states go by engine size either. And if they do use engine size... its just one of the MANY things they factor into their quote.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss