And yet another soon to be new biker - a couple questions

troxelb
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

And yet another soon to be new biker - a couple questions

#1 Unread post by troxelb »

Hello,

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a bike. I've pretty much decided on getting a new or almost new Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. The reason I'm not getting an older more beat up bike is because I have the money now and will probably not have the funds to upgrade in a year or so. Darn houses cost too much money.

So here's my question(s).

There is a guy local here that is selling a used 06 Vulcan 500 with 136 miles on it for $4800. It does have saddle bags, wind shield and engine guard and warrantee until Dec. I don't care about the bags or windshield that much, but the engineguard will probably be nice when I drop it. The only complicated part is that he owes the bank $4800 for the bike. What is the best way to purchase a bike like that? Deal directly with his bank? I've never bought a vehicle from someone that stilled owed money on it.

My other option is to buy new. I've bought a few cars new but not motorcycles. A couple shops have mentioned the freight and assembly fees. Is that standard? Is it negotiable?

My dilema with a new one is that I will be cutting it pretty close to my budget. I have $5700 to spend on a bike, tax and license, helmet, jacket, pants and gloves. Is it possible to negotiate a $4899 MSRP bike with say $300-400 for tax and license and include $500-700 worth of gear?

Thanks for your input!

Brian

ninja79
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by ninja79 »

Get a used bike and don't cheap out on gear. Good gear will cost *at least* $1000, probably more. You will also need to spend $200-$400 on the MSF course (it's $255 in california, don't know about where you live). Then take what's left and spend it on the bike. Don't buy a bike beyond your skill level. Don't know about cruisers, but the starter models of sport bikes depreciate much slower than supersports, so you will lose very little money if you sell them after a year or two. The insurance is much lower too, and you save quite a bit of money up front.

Oh yeah, the freight and assembly fees are "standard" in the sense that every stealership tries to push them on you, and "negotiable" in the sense that you can tell them to shove it. I wouldn't pay anything above MSRP.

troxelb
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by troxelb »

Ninja79,

I already paid for the MSF course...I just have to wait until June for the class. :(

Wow, $1000 for gear. So are you saying that a budget like: $200 for a jacket, $200-300 for a helmet and $200 for pants is too low? I'm not worried about gloves that much...$50-100 should cover them, right?

I'm definitely looking for a cruiser...I don't really like the standard or sport bike position. I also have to keep in mind that whatever bike I get now I will have to stick with for 2-3 years. I'm selling my condo and buying a house and will not have very much disposable income in the next couple years. :(

I'm VERY nervous about buying a used bike with any kind of miles on it...I am too ignorant about what to look for on a used bike.

Thanks for your input!

Brian

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#4 Unread post by Shiv »

That's why you take the bike to a dealership of the make and have a mechanic go over it. Standard procedure is for the seller and potential buyer to split the bill of the inspection.

You could take over the payments on the $4800 bike and 'buy' it that way. Just pay it all off once the title is transferred to you.

Or if you wanna make installments, make sure that the interest rate on the loan isn't high or you'll end up paying a lot more than you wanted to.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

troxelb
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by troxelb »

Shiv,

Thanks for the advice.

I am not able to take over the payments that way though. I do not want any new accounts showing up on my credit report while I'm working on getting a house.

Do you have any advice on a used bike in that price range? I can definitely have a shop check it out.

Thanks!

Brian

ninja79
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by ninja79 »

Jacket and pants cost a bit more. But you can get them under $300. You will also need boots unless you already have sturdy leather boots that protect your ancles.

Buying a used bike is obviously a hit or miss. I bought mine used and totally didn't notice that it was mssing front blinkers (and the seller conspicuously didn't mention it). It also didn't turn on the brake light when I pressed the rear brake. Fortunately it was just because the spring was broken, and when I was fiddling with it installing the new spring I broke the switch as well :-) The clutch was fairly worn out. It was still usable, but I changed it recently. And I'll need a new chain soon. Even with these repairs, it is still a fairly good deal, but certainly not an incredibly great deal I thought it was. And obviously I wish I'd known about this *before* I bought the bike.

The only thing I would suggest is bring a mechanic with you if you're buying used, if you know one. Otherwise you are basically rolling the dice.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#7 Unread post by NorthernPete »

One thing you could do it get them to throw in some of your gear if you buy right from a dealershiop. get them to throw in a helmet or jacket.

also, check ebay out, you can get brand new price tags still on them items for alot less, thats where I got my jacket from.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#8 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

The gear I bought and am buying is textile. It's not as good as leather but, still good and protective. The jacket is priced at $199. The pants were $80. There are links to that gear in my blog. Already had gloves but, the dealership had some priced anywhere from $50 - $80. I already had a helmet as well. Be sure and read the sticky on helmets. Some of the highest rated were the less expensive models. I think your budget for gear is pretty good unless the stuff is a lot more expensive on the west coast. After protection level, the fit and comfort is the most important thing with all of the gear. Be sure to try things on and wear it for a while. Walk around in it, sit on bikes with it on, etc.

As for buying the used bike, I'm not exactly sure how to do that either. Maybe talk to a lawyer, loan officer or sales person and see what they think. A dealership may handle the sale as a mediary. I'm sure they'd charge some kind of fee but, I would think it would be safer that way. Maybe try checking your state's DMV site for info for title transfer requirements?

Good Luck!

troxelb
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by troxelb »

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I should have specified that I'm going to go for textile rather than leather.

I do already have a nice pair of boots.

Does anyone have any reasons why I should NOT buy a Vulcan 500 LTD?

Thanks again!

Brian

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

i disagree with the $1000 figure.

you can get:
jacket for $150
gloves for $50
helmet for $200
boots for $100 (you may already own some)
riding pants (optional) $125
all that is only $625 and you can get most of that stuff cheaper than the prices i have listed.

i wouldnt skimp on helmet, and jacket/gloves also very important. but boots are boots are boots- no reason to go buy what valentino wears at the track to ride you cruiser on sunday afternoon. and a lot of people just wear jeans instead of dedicated riding pants. (although your legs will usually take some damage if you have a crash)

good luck and ride safe.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]