Get More of What you Love of TMW and less of what you don't.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Since I started Total Motorcycle over 15 years ago I've endeavored to add more great features and free unique content while reducing ads. New features like our upgraded 12 core Xeon server, new upgraded forums 3.1.1 (featuring Facebook/Google login) and new AddThis Pro sharing slider and recommended content. Plus you will notice 30% less ads now on Total Motorcycle! Just incredible, I know. What other site adds more free stuff and reduces ads to increase your enjoyment? Very few. But then again, there is only one Total Motorcycle. Share the Love!

I just wanted everyone to know in an ongoing multi-decade effort to keep reducing the ads on Total Motorcycle that today, (November 24th), I will be removing the photo popup/slider ads across Total Motorcycle (including the forums).

I've really never liked those ads myself and I've been getting some negative feedback about them recently which has pushed me to think hard about the revenue they are providing vs visitor satisfaction. It's always a constant balance of ads vs visitor happiness. On one end I'd absolutely LOVE to remove all the ads off TMW for good, but on the other I couldn't survive without revenue nor could Total Motorcycle (or any website infact). So, it's a love-hate relationship between ads vs visitor happiness.

Anyways...lol

The ads are now gone and that removes about 30% of the advertising off Total Motorcycle!

I hope removing these ads makes Total Motorcycle a better, and happier experience for everyone. :cowboy:

Mike

P.s. If you want to, or would like to, I do have a DONATE button... :couch:

Donate $1 walloffame.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Get More of What you Love of TMW and less of what you don't.

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Update: I had to add 1 more ad type back. :(

Unfortunately, due to the harsh economic conditions of North America (and the world) revenue is really quite down a bit and server costs have increased by 50% on top of it all (and remember, I do make my living doing this F/T). So I had to put 1 ad I removed years ago (an in-image photo ad) to try and offset the loss a little. It's just a trail for now and I still have to maintain the balance between revenue and traffic. Hopefully it's ok.

I am thinking about running a fund raiser as well for 2016 to help out.

I've always balanced revenue vs visitor inconvenience and have always erred on the side of the visitor. TMW isn't about profit first, but putting riders first.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Good news, the ad test over. Having ads on the images wasn't really generating enough revenue to offset the inconvenience. So I've removed all those ads. Will have to come up with another idea, but less inconvenience for the visitors. :cowboy:

Maybe it's the ad blockers now that are so popular... I'll have to see if I can tell what % of visitors are blocking all the ads. Hopefully it's a very tiny number. If you are running an ad blocker, please do consider turning it off for TMW. :boat:

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Man, I do hate adding ads to the site, it really gets my goat. So, what I've done is removed one ad type off the site and added back the ads in the forums here, but as small and less "in your face" as possible.

Hopefully (and I'll cross my fingers here) you don't mind the ad in the forums, but PLEASE give me some feedback either way.

Once the ad market rates start to go back up again (economy) then I will remove these extra ads. They are only there to try and offset a small part of the bigger revenue dip.

Many thanks,

Mike