Limit to signature size

Kaiser Soze
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

Limit to signature size

#1 Unread post by Kaiser Soze »

This isn't a real big deal, but there are a few members here with *huge* signatures. One I noticed this morning is 414 pixels high plus 4 lines of text. If this person makes a two line post in a thread, his post alone takes up pretty much my entire screen (at 1024x768).

This makes scanning through threads a bit of a pain. I go to other sites with limits on signature sizes; it makes reading the threads a lot easier.

Just throwing this out there to see what the others here think about it.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Limit to signature size

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Kaiser Soze wrote:This isn't a real big deal, but there are a few members here with *huge* signatures. One I noticed this morning is 414 pixels high plus 4 lines of text. If this person makes a two line post in a thread, his post alone takes up pretty much my entire screen (at 1024x768).

This makes scanning through threads a bit of a pain. I go to other sites with limits on signature sizes; it makes reading the threads a lot easier.

Just throwing this out there to see what the others here think about it.
I do agree with you that a few members have really large signatures. The ONLY 2 options I have are:

Signatures: On/Off
Maximum signature length (Maximum number of characters in user signatures): right now it's set to 255.

I can always PM those with long signatures and let them know to change them as well. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dzervit
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by dzervit »

On another forum I frequent we (the members) made a loose agreement to keep sigs to 500x100 pixels. Roughly the size of a large banner ad. It went well, then large sigs got out of control again. It annoyed enough that a "500x100" movement started. Everyone had sigs with the numbers in it, and now the forums are much easier to browse. And look better to boot. Moderators cannot restrict sigs per se, so its up to the membership to communicate and self-moderate.
½ of a 03 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
All of a 06 BMW R1200RT

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

Some of the forums I go to have rules like 450 pixels wide by 150 pixels tall and 100kb.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by Veda »

+1 - anything you can do to get some of these guys to fix their signatures up would be appreciated. The "Trouble with Women" thread has become a thread full of some big red sports bike and it's quite obnoxious.

I've seen other boards that allow the end user to opt out of viewing signatures individually. Do we have any option like that here?

BusaEater
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by BusaEater »

^^Well if you had a problem with it you should've just asked me to change it and I would have gladly done it.

Isn't that what private messages are for?

Anyways, I'll change it.
"Stupid Hurts"

My Bikes:
'01 Honda RC51
'02 Honda CBR600 F4i stunt bike.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

BusaEater wrote:^^Well if you had a problem with it you should've just asked me to change it and I would have gladly done it.

Isn't that what private messages are for?

Anyways, I'll change it.

Excellent point. It would solve the problem of new members being ostracised and it would also help to have some guidelines in this area. I have been guilty of huge signatures myself, especially during my cross country trip where I had that huge map of Canada and the nothern States in my signature. I'll appologize now if it offended anyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

450 pixels wide by 150 pixels tall and 100kb works for me. :D

100KB is BIG, but hey...I'll go with the flow...

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#9 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

totalmotorcycle wrote:450 pixels wide by 150 pixels tall and 100kb works for me. :D

100KB is BIG, but hey...I'll go with the flow...

Mike
lol, i saw "450 by 150" and thought "damnit, now I'll have to re-do the usergroup sigs. Just squeeked by :laughing:. and those, even with the nifty fad effect and all those colors are only ~23kb, 100kb almost seems excesive. If someone is seriously having an issue getting their sig pic below that, pm me and i'll re-size it quality wise for them. :laughing:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

zed
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by zed »

The *huge* sig does not bother me.
What does bother me is members who do not fill in the "Location" field in their profile. I don't know how many times I've read a post about how things are "here" except I don't know where "here" is. Also someone posts a question and I don't know how to answer because different jurisdictions have different by-laws. :aaarggh:
I always follow the rules.
The only exception to the rule occurs when I make an exception to the rule not to make an exception to the rule and that only occurs under exceptional circumstances.

2005 Vulcan 500 LTD