Total Motorcycle Bikers Dictionary 6th Ed - Suggest a Word -

Torch99
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Hondabago

#21 Unread post by Torch99 »

For the next addition there is a term used by a friend of mine for a fully decked out Goldwing. The Hondabago. I like it. Hope it makes it into the next edition.
1st Bike '73 Yamaha DT250
2nd Bike '79 Honda CX500C
3rd Bike '90 Suzuki GS500
Present Bike '07 Suzuki DL650

oldfart
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#22 Unread post by oldfart »

Not doing any bashing because we all were beginners at one time.
But with the upsurge in interest in bikes,I have noticed one that should be added. "Plastic Bikers" (similar to R.U.B.'s)New riders who have gone down to their local motorcycle shop, pulled out their plastic credit cards and bought their new mega bike(usually that new,shiny,chrome dripping Harley Davidson)then the new leather boots,jacket,vest,gloves,pants and let's not forget the skull do-rags. These "plastic Bikers" can usually be picked out of a crowd by the smell of new leather! :laughing: But in their defense,they help us older, mileage worn riders by making motorcycles a higher profile on the roadways.

flhbiker
Rookie
Rookie

Woulda-Coulda

#23 Unread post by flhbiker »

Woulda-Coulda.....
this term is refering to that guy that is at all the bike shows and rallys usualy decked out in full lethers some times with a mullet who seems to be awfull judgemental about all things bike, (we've all seen him) yet he don't even own a bike.
(more commonly used by japanese bike riders because theese "Woulda-Coulda" guys seem to think that if it aint a Harley it's junk)

flhbiker
Rookie
Rookie

trailer trash

#24 Unread post by flhbiker »

trailer trash - see trailer twinkie

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#25 Unread post by Kal »

In the interests of furthering cross Atlantic relations I offer the following definitions from across the pond curtesy of mistergixer at BCF

1 piece – an ‘all in one’ outfit of protective clothing, usually refers to leathers.

2 piece – an outfit consisting of a jacket and trousers, may refer to leathers or textiles.

’98 R1 – the Chuck Norris of motorbikes.

Akra – Akrapovic. Manufacturers of exhaust cans and full systems.

ATGANI – All The Gear And No Idea. Derogatory term for a biker who has a shiny, expensive new bike, expensive shiny new leathers and lid, yet cannot ride for toffee. Power Rangers frequently have ATGANI.

Babyblade – a Honda CBR250/CBR400.

Badger – a savage looking bike based upon bits of old Ariels, built by a man with a beard in his kitchen for the purpose of Hillclimbing. The end result is a bike that looks like it would bite your arm off, and then proposition your Mum/sister. Now mistakenly considered a ‘real’ model of Ariel, thanks to said beardie’s addition to Wikipedia.

Biker’s Poem – a sickening poem about the ‘soft and caring, unseen side’ of bikers which has been over posted

Bin(ned) it – to crash a motorbike. (note this applies to all bikes, not just those being raced)

‘Blade – a Honda Fireblade.

Boxer – an engine configuration comprising horizontally opposed cylinders.

Braided hoses – hose made of braided metal. Frequently refers to brake hoses. Typically used to replace standard rubber hoses which flex/bulge under pressure; braided hoses don’t, and therefore give increased braking performance.

Brembo(s) – a manufacturer of high-quality brake parts.

Can – the final (end) part of an exhaust system. Often called an End-Can.

Clutching it up – using the clutch to cause a wheelie to occur.

Combat Filtering – like Filtering, only more aggressive and more likely to result in the collection of wing-mirrors from cages.

‘Crosser – a motocross bike. Often referred to as a scrambler.

Duke – a Ducati motorbike. Expensive, exotic and beautiful to behold – which is just as well, as it gives the owner something nice to look at whilst he waits for the breakdown recovery truck to arrive.

End-can – see Can.

‘Fighter – see Streetfighter.

Filter(ing) – avoiding queues of cages by riding between the lines of stationary (or moving) traffic. See also Combat Filtering

Four – an engine configuration comprising of 4 cylinders.

Full system – a complete set of (after-market)exhaust parts. Typically comprises headers, pipes and can.

Front end – the forks and front wheel of a motorbike.

Headers – the section of an exhaust system which attaches to the engine.

Hillclimbing – a primitive form of motorsport, popularised by men with beards. Essentially, a number of bikes attempt to make their way up a steep incline, whoever has injured themselves the most is the winner. Also known as Freaktrials. See also Badger

Hoon - To ride quickly/spiritedly alone or in a small group. To actually 'work' the bike/ride hard.

HTH – Happy to help.

I.A.M – the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists.

Jellymold - i] Honda PC800 (Great Britain) ii] Mid-ninties Honda CBRs

KSI - Killed or Seriously Injured. The result of badly binning it.

Lid – helmet. From Skidlid.

Low-side – the act of crashing a motorcycle and falling off to the side of the bike which is closest to the ground i.e on a lefthand bend the rider would fall off the left side of the bike. Typically caused by the front wheel washing out.

Nod (The) - Tipping of the head to acknowledge oncoming Bikers. See Wave (The)

Ohlins – a manufacturer of high-quality suspension components.
Paddock stand – a detachable stand used to raise a wheel off the ground. May be for the front or rear wheel.

Ped boi – a chav on 2-wheels. A hoodie riding a moped, typically with a noisy spannie and using the pillion pegs instead of the footboard. Ped bois are often to be found in packs in McDonalds carparks. They will normally always ask you about powerbands.

"pee"-pot – typically an old-fashioned, open face helmet. Usually favoured by owners of vintage British motorbikes.

Plastic Maggot - i] Honda CX500 (Great Britain) ii] Honda PC800 (North America)

Pots – the number of pistons found in a brake calliper. The pistons push the brake pads against the disk. Many different variations: single pot, 2-pot, 4-pot, 6-pot etc. Generally, the greater the number of pistons, the greater the stopping force.

Powerband – i) little loops of coloured elastic that can seriously increase the performance of your engine. Red ones are for racing only.
ii) the point in an engine’s rev-range where it makes the most power. Usually refers to the power delivery of 2-stroke engines, which deliver all their power in a sudden, savage and extremely pleasurable lump. As in ‘I hit the powerband just as i passed the local girls school. The front end came up into a proper minger’.

Power Ranger – a derogatory term, typically applied to owners of sportsbikes who have 1-piece leathers colour-matched to their bikes.

Power wheelie – using the engine’s power to bring up the front wheel into a wheelie.

Race can – usually a lightweight, free breathing end-can.

Rear end – the rear wheel and swingarm of a motorbike.

Renthals – Renthal are a manufacturer of after-market parts; most notable for handlebars and sprockets. ‘Renthals’ typically refers to the type of high, flat bars as frequently fitted to ‘fighters.
Rice-burner – a (typically) derogatory term for Japanese motorbikes.

Rossi – Valentino Rossi. Vale. The Doctor. Valentinik. Rossifumi. Possibly the greatest motorbike racer of all time. See also Rossi Wannabe

Rossi Wannabe – an obsessive fanboi with the mistaken belief that looking like a clone of Rossi will somehow mysteriously gift them the same level of riding skill. Traditionally found clad head-to-toe in black and yellow Dianese clothing and riding a Babyblade in Nastro Azzuro colours.

Safety party – a person who is obsessive about always wearing full kit, riding sensibly and obeying the speed limits.

Single – an engine configuration comprising one cylinder.

Slip-on – a type of can (usually a race-can) which ‘slips’ directly onto the exhaust pipe.

SMIDSY – short for ‘Sorry Mate I Didn’t See You’: frequently the first words out of a cager’s mouth as they stand over you, whilst you lie there in a mixture of your own, and your bike’s fluids after they pulled out in front of you, without looking

Spannie – short for ‘expansion chamber’. A type of exhaust system found on 'Strokers.

Square 4 – an engine configuration comprising of 4 cylinders in a square formation (i.e. 2 sets of parallel twins)

Sticky hoops/boots – tyres made of a soft compound which maximise grip (usually) at the expense of tyre life and longevity.

Stinkwheel – a motorbike with a 2-stroke engine.

Streetfighter – originally ‘fighters were sportsbikes which had been crashed and the owner could not afford to (cosmetically) repair, so all the fairings were removed and the clip-ons replaced with flat bars (these are the typical areas of damage on a sportsbike). Typically ridden by nutters in jeans, trainers, a bomber jacket and a Simpson Bandit helmet. Nowadays, most fighters are ‘custom projects’ with silly chopped tails and oodles of tat from the Demon Tweeks catalogue bolted on.

‘Stroker – a motorbike with a 2-stroke engine. A stinkwheel.

Stubby – a can which has been deliberately cut down to a shorter length. Typically to increase the noise of the exhaust system.

Top-box – a piece of hard luggage mounted behind the seat.

Ton up - 100mph plus

Twin – an engine configuration comprising of 2 cylinders.

Wash out – where the front wheel looses grip and slides out to one side. As in ‘i hit a patch of diesel and the front end just washed out on me’ – this generally equates to: ‘I was going too fast and ran out of talent.’

Win it or bin it – a racing term which refers to someone who is so committed to victory that they will either win the race or crash whilst trying. See Rossi's early career.

Yoshi – Yoshimura. A Japanese manufacturer of after-market parts, especially exhaust systems. Most commonly associated with Suzuki.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#26 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Almost all of the suggested words have been added.

Thanks to all who contributed to this 5th Edition! Please keep the words coming as it helps build a better Motorcycle Dictionary for everyone. :D

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dictiona ... -index.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#27 Unread post by ceemes »

Still waiting to see:

Queens Cowboy aka R.C.M.P.

and

Meathead aka a Canadian Military Policeman/woman who has the power to give you a traffic ticket, even on non-military roads.

and how about

Speed Tax aka a speeding fine?
Always ask why.

gsf1811
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Bandit

Re: Total Motorcycle Bikers Dictionary 4th Ed - Suggest a Wo

#28 Unread post by gsf1811 »

Motorpsycho..... Totally dedicated 2wheeling individual
If it Makes a Great Picture...Shoot It

SportsterKing
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2007/Harley/Sportster 1200 Low

#29 Unread post by SportsterKing »

OUTLAW: Often associated with motorcycle "gangs" the term actually denotes a motorcycle club that has refused to become a member of the AMA. Hells Angels, Outlaws, Banditos, and similar motorcycle clubs are "outlaw" clubs in this regard.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#30 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

6th Edition now released! All terms above have been added plus over a hunderd more.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dictiona ... -index.htm

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.