totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Total Motorcycle Bikers Dictionary 6th Ed - Suggest a Word -

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

UPDATE: The Total Motorcycle Biker's Dictionary has been a huge success and is now in it's 6TH EDITION (2011).

UPDATE: Additional hunderd words have been added(2011).

The TMW Bikers Dictionary 6th Edition!
Our unique, helpful and useful Total Motorcycle Bikers Dictionary has been released in it's huge 4th Edition with even more biker terms! A reference guide for all bikers to look up and learn new words. Impress your friends, and be more 2x more popular* (*sorry we can't guarantee that). We even accept submissions for words you don't see in there. Only available right here at Total Motorcycle for all riders worldwide. Used in fine Educational institutions as well! Check it out today and use it often: :
The Total Motorcycle Biker's Dictionary, 6th Edition.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dictiona ... -index.htm

TO SUGGEST A WORD TO BE ADDED

All you need to do is reply to this thread with your suggested word, definition and an example of who you would use it. Thats it, simple and easy!

Mike
Last edited by totalmotorcycle on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Damian
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#2 Unread post by Damian »

Here's a few omissions that I noticed:

chrome* - Chrome plating is a finishing treatment utilizing the electrolytic deposition of chromium. The most common form of chrome plating is the thin, decorative bright chrome, which is typically a 10 µm layer over an underlying nickel plate. It imparts a mirror-like finish to items such as metal furniture frames and automotive trim.

anodizing* - a technique used to coat the surface of a metal with an oxide layer. It may be used to increase corrosion resistance, increase wear resistance, allow dyeing or prepare the surface for other processes and coatings including paint. Anodization changes the microscopic texture of the surface and can change the crystal structure of the metal near the surface. The process derives its name from the fact that the part to be treated forms the anode portion of an electrical circuit in this electrolytic process.

Highway Bars - thick, often chrome, tubes that connect to a motorcycle's frame. Designed to protect the engine in case of a collision, but popular for their appearance. Popular with cruiser-style motorcycles.

Highway Pegs - foot pegs mounted to highway bars that allow the rider to stretch his or her legs further forward for a more relaxed riding position. using such pegs prevent the rider from having immediate access to the gear shfter and rear brake

rich - condition where the optimum mixture of fuel and air is not being fed to the engine, too much fuel, not enough air; opposite of lean

lean - condition where the optimum mixture of fuel and air is not being fed into the engine, too much air, not enough fuel; opposite of rich

* from Wikipedia
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Damian wrote:Here's a few omissions that I noticed:

chrome* - Ch....
Thank you very much for those additions! I've added them to the TMW Bikers Dictionary now. :D

Much appreciated for finding them! If you (or anyone else reading this) find any other definations to be included, please do let me know.

Have a great night,

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by mgdavis »

Case Guards: See Highway Bars
What my Dad called 'em.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by mgdavis »

Backfire - Explosion of the fuel in the intake manifold, exhaust muffler or carburetor, but often used to describe the explosion of unburned fuel in the exhaust system.
I think "exhaust muffler" should be removed from the definition. A backfire occurs through the intake side, IIRC.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

av8r
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Ducati ST3

#6 Unread post by av8r »

Farkles: (accessories).
Things that can be added to your bike that make it more useful, versatile, or attractive.
The sum $$ total of which often exceeds the original purchase price of the bike.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Dammit
Murphy's First Proof:
In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

terms

#7 Unread post by slimcolo »

13-13th letter stands for Motorcycles or Marajauna

ONE-OH-ONE- Indian Scout

BMW-(BEE EM VEE) Bayeriscne (not Bravarian) Motor Werks

Century-100MPH

The Mann-Artist David Mann

White Plate-Antique Flat track races

TT-Tourist Trophy

The Isle-Manx

Postie bike- a single cyl. 90 or 110 step thru Honda as used by the Aussie and Kiwi postal service.

Hippie Biker- soft core biker not 1%er AKA Citizen Bikers predates RUB

Church-club meetings

Hard Core-dedicated biker usually clubber but sometimes refers to a racer

The Queen's Carrige-any British bike AKA the Queen's own

Big Dog-Annual dual sport ride with BMW's in the Rockie Mountains

Lucas-British Prince of Darkness

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

square - In the counterculture movements that started in the 1940s and took momentum in the 1960s a "square" referred to someone who clung to repressive, traditional, stereotypical, one-sided, or "in the box" ways of thinking. The term was used by hipsters in the 40s, beatniks in the 50s, hippies in the 60s, yippies in the 70s, and other individuals who took part in the movements which emerged to contest the more conservative national, political, religious, philosophical, musical and social trends.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#9 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

You appear to be missing "Street fighter"
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Thank you for you continuing contributions. All words* have been added to the Total Motorcycle Biker's Dictionary along with a hundred others. :D

Please keep the words coming. It helps the Dictionary grow.

Mike

*I didn't add: Lucas-British Prince of Darkness as I don't know how this relates to biking??