totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Popups/Popunders on TMW explained.

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Popups and Popunders topics in the suggestion box are very popular as no one really likes popups or popunder ads at all. I thought I'd create this sticky to explain why they are here, why we need them and why you should think about not blocking them but closing them instead if you are not interested in what they offer.

Curious what ads we are running? Click here

What is a popup ad?
A Popup is a medium sized window that "popsup" (opens) with an ad in it. A Popup will open on top of any window you are currently seeing and force you to look at the ad. Total Motorcycle runs mainly popunders ads, but there is a small chance you might get a popup.

What is a popunder ad?

A Popunder is a medium sized window that "popsunder" (opens) with an ad in it. A Popunder will open UNDER (or below) any window you are currently seeing or reading. These types of ads PAY LESS than a popup because they are LESS ANNOYING. Total Motorcycle DOES run this type of ad because we value your visit and want you to come back even if we make less using these types of ads.

Many visitors do not like ads at all, popunders, banners, skyscrapers etc. What can be done?

Well, not much to tell you the truth. Those ads help pay for the running of the site, the bills, bandwidth, supplies etc to make it FREE for you to use. Since the site does not change a fee, mandatory membership and our 110,000 pages are all available completely free a few popunders a day is a very small price to "pay" for such a massive resource. If we didn't run ads we couldn't afford to pay the bills and would not be here at all and that would be very sad.

You could block all the ads but then you would kill the site as the site could NOT support itself on no money. So blocking ads will only destroy something you find useful and a few ads are a small price to pay to keep something good going for no cost.

We are able to reduce the amount of ads when we get more Site Supporters so please do consider becoming a site supporter each year. walloffame.htm

What can I do if I find an ad running on Total Motorcycle offensive, overly agressive or annoying?

Unlike any big site I can think of, we'll remove ads you find offensive, overly agressive or annoying! No, really It's true, we will remove ads to keep our members and visitors happy. I of course can't remove all ads, but I do try my best to remove what it suggested. Just suggest an ad removal in this forum (suggestion box) and I'll look into it. As TMW runs hundreds of different ads from hundreds of advertisers you must let me know what URL it clicks to and post a screen shot of the ad so I know what to look for or I can't find it to remove it. Any additional details about the ad you want removed would be most helpful. It usually takes about an hour to find the ad and another 2 to have it stop running.

Can you reduce the amount of Popunders/ads?

Yes! We truely do that to make YOUR visit as nice as possible. How? I reduce the amount of popunders as I get site supporters. If you are getting more than 0-3 popunders PER DAY (24 hours) from us, then you are not getting them from us. I've set the popunders to run only ever 12-24 hours, most sites set them to run EVERY page. Thats dozens of popups you would normally get from them. On Total Motorcycle you can look at 1,000 pages and not get more than 3 popupder per day versus 1,000 from other sites. How's that for reducing them? :D

Also I try to reduce the amount of available popunders/ads as much as possible so you do not get as many of them. On June I reduced the amount of popunders by 50%.

What else do we do?

We do not allow spyware, malware or other privacy/information infringement ads. Sure, these types of ads pay HUGE, but they are not cool and I do not want Total Motorcycle visitors to be exposed to those types of ads. Other sites run them, but Total Motorcycle will never do so. Your information and privacy is your own, not anyone elses.

What are cookies?

Total Motorcycle DOES put a cookie on your computer. What's a cookie? It's a tiny file that contains non-personal or identifying information that is requested by Total Motorcycle when you visit. There are upto 2 types of cookies you will have on your computer from us:

Cookie 1: This one contains your login information for the forum so you don't have to remember your password/username all the time. It's encrypted so no one else can read it.

Cookie 2:
Ad cookies. This records information on when you last visited or saw a page so you DO NOT get a popunder in the 12-24 hour window. If you do not accept cookies from Total Motorcycle then we cannot put this cookie on your computer and you may get more ads than you are supposed to. Less than 1% of visitors computers have a "cookie problem" that their cookies are turned off and it's the MAIN SOURCE of complaint about getting too many ads. So make sure your cookies are ON.

I hope this explains why its very important these ads are being shown on Total Motorcycle to our valued visitors. And I hope that by understanding why they are here and that its very important not to block them that you won't be angry at them or us for having them.

I appreciate everytime a visitor comes to Total Motorcycle and everyone at Total Motorcycle tries very hard to make your experience at Total Motorcycle Friendly, Useful and Helpful as possible. :D

Thank you so very much for making Total Motorcycle your virtual internet riding destination! See you lots!

:cheers:

Mike.
Last edited by totalmotorcycle on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

...and if anyone is courious, I do not run any ad blocking software, I use Internet Explorer 6.02, run Ad-Aware SE Personal daily and only get 2 popunders a day from Total Motorcycle.

Questions about Popunder or ads on Total Motorcycle, please do send me a (friendly) PM as my door is always open. :D

If you choose to post/reply here in reguards to this topic I will read your message, reply by PM to you and delete the reply after it is answered so keep this thread clean.

Mike.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#3 Unread post by CNF2002 »

At the top of the page in the header there is a big black empty space. Instead of popups why not put a banner ad there 24.7?
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

M109R
Legendary
Legendary

No more Popups!!!

#4 Unread post by M109R »

Looks like the problem has been fixed!

No more 100 popups in 10 minutes.

Maybe it was a corrupted cookie because I deleted them all then tried again and also raised my security level to medium on IE.

Thanks for your help!

Now I can focus on having fun in the forum sharing info.

Came on the site today and only received 2 popups/popunder which is no issue to me whatsoever.

Keep up the great work keeping this site alive and fun to use!!

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Sicko »

It absolutely amazes me that some people actually respond to this type of "push" advertising. I don't because it comes across as rude and intrusive. But to each his own, I guess.

Banner ads are OK as long as they don't attention mean.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I do my best to keep the ads to a minimum. Feel free to read all the threads in this Suggestion Box forum to see how minimum I keep them for the benefit of you, my member, not my pocketbook.

I have been constantly killing the popups/unders this month even though sadly I haven't had any new Site Supporters for April. But I'm removing them hoping that it is making a difference. So far this month I've removed about 40 of them from the lineup. While you'll see get pops, hopefully it's less on average the number you get when you login a day. :D

Thanks for making Total Motorcycle your virtual motorcycle destination!

Mike

Duane
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Duane »

Running an ad supported website can be difficult now days with a majority of people running pop up blockers, ad blockers and other means of deterring ads.

Over the years I have done consultant work for several websites that use to be focused purely on ad based revenues. Since popups/unders, banners are met with such hostility now days, several websites that I have worked with recently found that between simple non-intrusive in page text ads, merchandise and easy donations options added with forum perks like what you are already doing far surpassed anything they were making off ads over the past few years. Sure, a few years back you could make a killing of that model but not so much lately.

Speaking of, I just donated because this site has been an awesome resource and I greatly appreciate it!

So yeah, just a suggestion, thanks and take care!

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#8 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Mikes tried the intelli text ads before, but I think they were disabled on the forums, as people complained it looked like they were endorsing the ad when it appeared in their posts. I believe they still run on the main site, just not the forums
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Duane wrote:Running an ad supported website can be difficult now days with a majority of people running pop up blockers, ad blockers and other means of deterring ads.

Over the years I have done consultant work for several websites that use to be focused purely on ad based revenues. Since popups/unders, banners are met with such hostility now days, several websites that I have worked with recently found that between simple non-intrusive in page text ads, merchandise and easy donations options added with forum perks like what you are already doing far surpassed anything they were making off ads over the past few years. Sure, a few years back you could make a killing of that model but not so much lately.

Speaking of, I just donated because this site has been an awesome resource and I greatly appreciate it!

So yeah, just a suggestion, thanks and take care!
Hi Duane,

Firstly, thank you very much for your donation, I've received it and will be upgrading your account and adding you to the wall of fame after this reply.

You nailed it on the head. With the majority of people running pop up blockers, ad blockers and other means of deterring ads it is getting harder to make a living off of just ads. But I've promised the visitors and members of the site I've never change for anything, all 200,000 pages of the site, it's books, guides and unique content will always remain free online for them. :D I do get a few donations a month which really does go a long way to keep the site running and I appreciate them very much.

I am looking at TMW merchandise, I just received a new batch of vinyl TMW motorcycle stickers, I also have TMW DVD's for sale. I would like to take a trip to the T-shirt store as well.

Thanks again for the complements on the site and for being a Site Supporter! It is really great to see members wanting to do more for the site.

:cheers:

Mike

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

Incidentally, it appears in quite a few instances, you have 728x90 banners running in your 468x60 slots.