The riding season is arriving- are you ready?

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

The riding season is arriving- are you ready?

#1 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Many of us didn't get to ride this winter (STFU S. California) and believe it or not, we won't be able to hop onto our bikes and be at 100%.

Hopefully you took the time when you put the bike away to winterize her properly. Her fluids were changed, her battery contently topped off by a trickle charger and all her surfaces protected. However, even if you went the full monty, it's still time to give her that thorough once over. I like the MSF TCLOCS sheet. It's exceptionally thorough and makes sure that everything gets the attention it needs.

Now, remember those glorious months of binge eating and all those promises about losing that weight? Let's talk gear. Does it still fit? If so, how old is it? Gear doesn't last forever and every year there are phenomenal new updates that you should probably look into. If you're still rocking your 1970's bell helmet, I'm talking to you! Helmets shouldn't be older than 5 years old. Not only do their materials break down over time, but the enzymes in your sweat play a major role in that deterioration as well. This goes for your gear too. The road at 25 mph is like a big belt sander. If you're not ok with a belt sander touching you somewhere on your body, get gear to cover it (anyone wear chaps?).

Finally, there's you. Let's face it you aren't the rider you were at the end of last season. Time away from the bike means lack of familiarity, loss of our muscle memory and a slight detachment from reality when it comes to our "skill level". Before hitting the road, schedule some parking lot practice. Refine those quick stops, master those swerves and work on your overall bike control with some figure 8's and u-turns. I like the last 40-60 pages on the MSF riding tips booklet It's a great place to start but obviously work on challenging yourself. Make the weaves harder, practice the perfect technique and remember you're not going to do it perfectly right away.

Want to work on becoming the best rider you can be? Sign up for a ridercourse. Hopefully you've already taken the Basic RiderCourse and the Experienced RiderCourse. Now it's time to look into other courses in your area. I highly recommend a Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic, a stayin safe trip, the MSF Advanced RiderCourse- Sportbike Techniques. All three are open to all bike types and will give you extra tools in your toolbox for those quandries life throws in our way.

Good Luck and God Speed
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

Re: The riding season is arriving- are you ready?

#2 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Excellent write-up. Even those of us that got a few rides in over the winter are still a bit rusty. Muscle memory deteriorates in two weeks, and it has been a lot longer than two weeks for a lot of us.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Wordherder
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Harley 2009 Superglide

#3 Unread post by Wordherder »

Got the bike out last Saturday for the first time - got above 45 degrees and I was antsy (Chicago area). Took the Harley for a short spin through the backstreets just to get reaquainted and then yeah, hit the local elementary school parking lot to run through the figure-8s and low-speed maneuvers from the MSF course. Didn't drop the thing, although I came damn close more than once.

Once I felt like I'd shaken the cobwebs, I headed out into the (soon to be) cornfield country past Plainfield. Had a great 45 minutes until my fingers started smarting, even through the thick "winter" gloves. When I got home, my fingers were scary-white and pretty much immobile. Ran lukewarm -- not hot! -- water over 'em until they were OK.

On a related note, sure feels good to be posting on TMW again. It's been a looooong winter!
Harley Superglide Custom
Born to be ... Courteously deferential. If that 's OK with you.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

Been riding all winter here in CT. 8)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Oh this isn't a brag thread you salty ol riding dog. This is a make ourselves better thread.

Must be nice not having record snowfall that you're state hasn't ever in its existence been prepared to deal with.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

storysunfolding wrote:
Must be nice not having record snowfall that you're state hasn't ever in its existence been prepared to deal with.
Yeah man, we sure lucked out this winter in CT. When the mid atlantic was getting 2 feet plus, we got virtually nothing. The one that dumped 4 feet in upstate NY, we only got like 8 inches. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#7 Unread post by gsJack »

My 1st riding season hasn't ended yet, just finished my 26th winter of riding here in NE Ohio, it was a beautiful 70F here today after a colder than average winter. Think I went about 2 weeks without a ride twice this year, a good winter I don't miss more than a week or so at a time. Only ride when streets are free of ice and snow but I splash through a lot of salt water. I'm afraid if I put it up for 3 months I might forget how to ride, might even forget where I put the bike so I just keep on going. :D

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#8 Unread post by MZ33 »

Only ride when streets are free of ice and snow
You must be on a main street! Here in Columbus, side streets aren't even considered until we have 4 inches on the ground. My street has a total of 7 houses on it, so you can guess where we fall in the schedule. We got sand on our street once this year, though, which helped.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Nightster XL1200N

#9 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

I rode my bike for like five or six hours saturday, taking breaks in between. When I got up from my nap later that day my legs were sore for the next 3 days.

Player-P
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: really, REALLY fast 2 wheel vehicle!

#10 Unread post by Player-P »

HYPERR wrote:Been riding all winter here in CT. 8)
Been riding everyday! But I ain't saying JACK, being that I'm out here in Cali...so I'll just hush :cowboy:
The only true finish line is making it back home safely after a ride!