What to buy? Updated - bought the new bike - pics are up!

MTNMAN800
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

What to buy? Updated - bought the new bike - pics are up!

#1 Unread post by MTNMAN800 »

I have owned several bikes, mostly along the sport lines. GPZ's / CBR / and my latest bike was a FZ6. I'm getting a little older (and heavier ) and the sport bikes just aren't real comfortable for me anymore. I'm 6'2" tall and 240lbs. Most of my riding is short duration, recreational rides after work and usually by myself. I do have kids that like to go with me sometimes and the wife has said she would "consider it" if I got a bigger bike so I would like at least the option of putting a backrest on. I have already sold my FZ6 and am looking at cruiser bikes but since I have never owned or ridden cruisers am at somewhat of a loss. I am reading and surfing the web researching different bikes and looking to see whats up in the used markets for this style bike. My main goal right now is to have a bike that is comfortable for my bigger behind but still "sporty" enough for me to enjoy. I may end up with a full touring ride some day - but I'm just not ready for that yet.

I prefer Yamaha's and Honda's but am not against much of anything out there. I'm not a die hard rider and don't put a lot of miles on per year so to spend big on a Harley isn't in the cards.

I'm looking for some constructive opinions between the VTX / Star bikes from a comfort / reliability / resale standpoint. The FJR1300 from Yamaha has also caught my eye but it seems to have that same style of seat as my FZ6 had and I'm looking for something that I don't get a sore butt and have to stop every 30 minutes with.

Another curiosity question I have come up with while looking at these bikes is why is there only one Star bike with liquid cooling???

Please no brand bashing, just looking for some real world experience and opinions.
Last edited by MTNMAN800 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:hithere:

Welcome to TMW. :)

The liquid cooled Yamaha is new.

Have you looked at the Yamaha Royal Star Venture? Suitable for a big guy, comfy for a passenger, easy to handle and nowhere near the cost of an HD.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Honestly when it comes to cruisers they all have different geometries and you have to sit on them to know what feels the most comfortable for you.

As far as the FJR1300 it doesn't have the same seat as your FZ did. It is designed to compete with the ST1300 and the Concours 14.

If you want sporty and a cruiser, it's big money but there's always the new V-Max... lol

As far as the differences between the VTX and Star lines... There's actually quite a few engine-wise. The VTXs are liquid cooled, but the Star line only has the new 950 that's liquid cooled. The VTXs are also single overhead cam while the Stars are pushrod engines. (Harley and Yamaha helped each other design both the Star engine and the Twin Cam. Before that Harley worked with Kawi to design the Evolution.)

So if performance is your thing I'd definitely go with the VTX line.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

blues2cruise wrote:Have you looked at the Yamaha Royal Star Venture? Suitable for a big guy, comfy for a passenger, easy to handle and nowhere near the cost of an HD.
2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture MSRP: $23,199
2009 Honda VTX 1800 Tourer MSRP: $20,499
2009 Harley Electra-Glide Standard MSRP: $21,619
2009 Harley Heritage Softail Classic MSRP: $23,089

Looks pretty close to Harley's prices to me. :dunno:
Last edited by Gummiente on Sat May 30, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

Wrider wrote:(Harley and Yamaha helped each other design both the Star engine and the Twin Cam. Before that Harley worked with Kawi to design the Evolution.)
Whatcha been smokin' today?
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Gummiente wrote:
Wrider wrote:(Harley and Yamaha helped each other design both the Star engine and the Twin Cam. Before that Harley worked with Kawi to design the Evolution.)
Whatcha been smokin' today?
Maybe it was the other way around, but Harley, Yammie, and Kwaka did work together to help design new engines. Not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying that the pushrod V-twin that's now in the Kawis and the Stars is largely based off of the perennial Harley twin. Except for the crank, which is of course patented.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Gummiente wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:Have you looked at the Yamaha Royal Star Venture? Suitable for a big guy, comfy for a passenger, easy to handle and nowhere near the cost of an HD.
2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture MSRP: $23,199
2009 Honda VTX 1800 Tourer MSRP: $20,499
2009 Harley Electra-Glide Standard MSRP: $21,619
2009 Harley Heritage Softail Classic MSRP: $23,089

Looks pretty close to Harley's prices to me. :dunno:
I take back what I said.....I have been hoodwinked...I had been given the impression that a big HD was about $40,000.

With prices all in the same ball park, it makes it easy to consider a HD.
I was in a HD shop today.....some very beautiful machines in there.

Gummiente

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Wrider wrote:Maybe it was the other way around, but Harley, Yammie, and Kwaka did work together to help design new engines.
Proof, please.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

blues2cruise wrote:I had been given the impression that a big HD was about $40,000.
There is one $40k Harley, a special edition CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide with an MSRP of $45,149. Way over-priced, IMO, but the rest of the lineup is pretty much on par with the competition for pricing.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

#10 Unread post by Fargo360 »

What about the Honda ST1300? It has the size of a cruiser, but the "english" saddle position as opposed to the "american" saddle of a traditional cruiser. Kind of a nice cross between a sport bike and a cruising bike. I've looked at them but never actually rode one so maybe I'm way out of line.
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming