motorcycle as only transportation

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

motorcycle as only transportation

#1 Unread post by froldt »

I know that I've seen this subject tossed around before, but I have some specific questions...

I will begin school in the fall, at the University of Kentucky (located at Lexington, Kentucky). I live about 3 hours away.
Last fall I purchased my motorcycle (82 Suzuki GS750T) with the plans of riding this past winter and all summer. If I managed through this winter, I would then sell my car and have only the motorcycle during at least 4 years of school. Then my motorcycle broke (needed a valve job, in the process of getting that done right now).

Everyone keeps telling me that I can't have only a motorcycle. I understand that rain and snow and ice are hazardous. If I live on or near campus, then I can walk to classes. Same with work. If I move I can have friends help.

From what I have been told (more recently) Lexington has a bit more severe winter than I do here at home. Does anyone know what the riding season is there? Is it just the cold that drives everyone into a cage?

If possible, a motorcycle is much more economical in terms of gasoline, insurance, and parking. All important things for a college student.

Is there anything that I am not figuring into my though process? Any hints, tips, suggestions, whatever? If it's not feasable to have only a bike, then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and sell her. The desire will burn strong and I will return to a motorcycle when possible.

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Koss »

You could always use a city bus, or whatever mass transit is available in that area (don't know much about Kentucky well at all... other than theres a lot of horses in that state. :mrgreen: )

And then the good ol' bicycle. Here where I live, the city bus's have a bicycle mount on front of the bus where you can stash your bike while you're in transit. Good time saver, or way to cut down the ride. Pretty good for the cyclist that wants to avoid alot of time in bad weather conditions also.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Plus not all women are comfortable on the back of a bike, especially on a first date...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by froldt »

Wrider wrote:Plus not all women are comfortable on the back of a bike, especially on a first date...
Wrider
Actually, already in a relationship, so that's not a problem. :P

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by NightNurse »

My boyfriend does not own a car, has 2 bikes and rides year round. We live in Louisville, KY.
Of course I have a car, and when its pouring and we go out together we take my car. He has no desire to get one. Packs his rain gear, full face helmet, etc...

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#6 Unread post by scan »

It sounds like you are aware of the challenges, I say why not. You are in the perfect situation to do it, and later in life if you get more settled, get a serious job, or have kids, it might be very hard to do something like this - so it sounds like a now or never thing really. I've seen guys riding bikes in the worst weather here in Ohio, but I personally never ride if it is snowing and sticking, or if the temp is staying below the freezing line. As long as you have alternative for those days, I'd do it. You are lucky.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Like Scan said, sounds like you've got things covered... Best of luck with it! Unfortunately here in CO we can't do that because of the cold (Shut up Gummi :laughing: ) and the unpredictability of the weather... It was snowing, blowing, raining, and downright cold yesterday, today it's 60 F...
Wrider
PS, You've gotta let us know how it goes for you, I for one am curious, and I know others that would like to find out as well!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by NightNurse »

Wrider wrote:Plus not all women are comfortable on the back of a bike, especially on a first date...
Wrider
Why would you want to go out with them then?! :wink: :laughing:

celt
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by celt »

NightNurse wrote:
Wrider
i like the way you think. :D

Bachstrad37
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by Bachstrad37 »

NightNurse wrote:
Wrider
The world needs more women like you!
2003 VN1500P Kawasaki Mean Streak
2009 Yamaha Nytro FX