Headlights at day - Bright or Dim

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#21 Unread post by JC Viper »

annoying but noticeable. I always thought there was something wrong with some guy's headlight but it turns out they have a modulator and makes them appear to come at you faster.

Blinking taillights though are illegal in some states....
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird =-(

#22 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

I agree that those flashy headlights are really annoying -- but really visible. I run hi-beams on my bike during the day.

When it's dark, I flip between hi-lo depending on whether I'm climbing hills or leaning into turns, as the hi beam brightness is about the same as lo, just aimed higher, so more light gets directed at the road then.
1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")

Beach
Veteran
Veteran

#23 Unread post by Beach »

Thats interesting. My low beam lights up the road in front of me, when I switch to high it gets much brighter and shines way up ahead. I can no longer see whats on the road surface in front of me.

I will likely get a modulator though. I have never been annoyed by one, and I have seen a couple around town. If it gets me noticed it might save my butt one day.
86 Honda Nighthawk 450
93 Honda XR 250L

Venarius
Elite
Elite

#24 Unread post by Venarius »

I always use brights at day, in fact I notice when the swith is on dim!

I only use the dims at night...

Use everything you can to be seen, especially that high beam!

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2004 Ducati 620ie

#25 Unread post by SuperRookie »

I think modulators are a good idea...and they do exactly what they're supposed to do...attract a driver's attention. I'd be in the cage waiting to make a turn and see some flickering and ask myself "wtf is that? Oh, a motorcycle...I wonder if that guy knows his headlight is f'd up" :laughing: :laughing:
"Not just your 'ordinary' Rookie..."

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#26 Unread post by bok »

i noticed a rider this morning on my way in to work who had his bright on. it was pretty bright and had a slight flicker to it. i kept looking at it trying to deduce if it was his bright light or some modulator ...but i kept looking at the bike almost to the point of target fixation.

so i'd say the high beam made him more visible, but other riders might notice it too much hehe
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

gitarjunky
Elite
Elite

#27 Unread post by gitarjunky »

My bike has a 'pass' toggle switch. When my lows are on, and I'm holding down the pass switch (actuated by my left index finger above the hi/lo switch) it turns it to highs, and as soon as I release, it goes back to low. So I leave my low's on most of the time and just flick this switch rapidly (like a headlight modulator would) when I'm going through intersections or when I think someone needs to see me better. Its also great for being on the highway at night to brighten up your lane for a few seconds to make sure there's no broken tires/bumpers laying in your lane. The only time I ride hi's all the time is at dusk, when visibility is at its worst, and at night when I'm the only one around.
2005 Suzuki SV650
Get a yellow one....they're faster

M109R
Legendary
Legendary

#28 Unread post by M109R »

gitarjunky wrote:My bike has a 'pass' toggle switch. When my lows are on, and I'm holding down the pass switch (actuated by my left index finger above the hi/lo switch) it turns it to highs, and as soon as I release, it goes back to low. So I leave my low's on most of the time and just flick this switch rapidly (like a headlight modulator would) when I'm going through intersections or when I think someone needs to see me better. Its also great for being on the highway at night to brighten up your lane for a few seconds to make sure there's no broken tires/bumpers laying in your lane. The only time I ride hi's all the time is at dusk, when visibility is at its worst, and at night when I'm the only one around.
+1

Awesome idea and saves me $100 bucks. I have the yellow pass switch on my bike too. I'll start trying that at the int.

Cool, didn't think of that one...

P.S. I still like the idea of the constant flash and having people get the H#LL out of your way.

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#29 Unread post by liablemtl »

I ride with my highbeam on until it's almost dark. Twilight is a dangerous time for motorcycles... if I blind a few cagers in the process, oh freakin' well.

During the day time, if I see a car turning left or a car getting ready to pull out from a side street, I vigorously flash my highbeams/lowbeams at 'em. One of these times I'll blow the cash on a headlight modulator. I just blew a bunch of dosh on getting set up for touring... so the headlight mod will have to wait.
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#30 Unread post by sapaul »

MontyCarlo wrote:I switch between High and Low beams, at a rate of 4 times per second :D

Or to be more accurate, I have a Kisan high beam modulator on the front. That thing has saved my bacon more than once. People used to pull out in front of me with enough frequency that I basically always expected it, but once I got the modulator the frequency went WAAY down.

Best safety mod EVAH!
Agreed, I got the Kriss product for my high beams and I wear this.

Guess which one is me :laughing:
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R