Bike Not Starting (2006 Yamaha V-Star XVS1100)

Laki
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 V-Star 650, 2006 V-Star 1100

Bike Not Starting (2006 Yamaha V-Star XVS1100)

#1 Unread post by Laki »

So on Saturday my bike seemed to have a little struggle turning on, not even attempting to turn over. On a second attempt with the choke opened fully it fired up beautiful, and I just chalked it down to it being finicky 'cause the weather has been rainy and cold. The next day, it again wouldn't attempt to turn over at all. It just makes the rvvvvvvvvvzs sound when the starter is depressed, even with choke out and throttling. Trying the easiest thing first, I charged up the battery to full, and when that didn't work, swapped the battery out entirely with a new one. I also checked the fuses in the storage compartment; everything was dandy. Since my attempt at describing the sound it makes is pretty awful, I just posted it to youtube:

https://youtu.be/IhUCPE3q0zc

You can't really hear it because my phone is rubbish, but when the ignition is turned there is the happy little series of clicks. I tried to position the phone to where the sound is emanating from when attempting to start, but the quality is still pretty poor. I hope it still gives a better impression than my rvvvvvvvvvzs description at least. This is my sole form of transit, so it never sits more than a few days at a time. Full tank of gas. No other issues recently.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Bike Not Starting (2006 Yamaha V-Star XVS1100)

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Sounds like the starter solenoid is fried; the starter motor is turning but the solenoid doesn't activate the Bendix gear to engage with the teeth on the clutch basket. If you're handy with tools you can pull the starter and clean the solenoid contacts yourself, or take it to an automotive starter and alternator repair shop. Or just replace the starter.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Laki
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 2007 V-Star 650, 2006 V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by Laki »

Thanks for your response! Appreciate it.

I re-recorded the issue on youtube for slightly better quality during the day: https://youtu.be/9cbYgB5tyAA

Again, because my phone is rubbish, the audio isn't perfectly synced, but it's a little clearer at least.

I am mildly handy, but not overly technical. Is cleaning the solenoid contacts (and replacing the starter if that fails) something you'd recommend for someone who's a relative novice when it comes to motorcycle repair? I'd really rather avoid paying service fees if it can be helped, and I'd like to learn as much as possible in terms of doing my own repairs, but also can concede when something's clearly over my pay grade. If so, are there any available guides to doing this? I have the service manual but haven't been able to find anything that would help with this particular task. Thanks again!

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

If you're just starting to learn about motorcycle repair it's best to leave a job like this for the bike shop. One thing you can try before handing it over to them is to give the solenoid a good bonk with a hammer as you depress the starter button with the ignition on. Sometimes the vibration of the shock is enough to jolt the solenoid into action, but this is a temporary fix at best. Eventually the contacts inside the solenoid will become so burnt and corroded that they will not allow electricity to flow and all the hammer thwacks in the world won't help.

A service manual is a must-have, though, if you want to learn how to fix your bike as it details the steps and procedures for pretty much every repair task possible. Note that some procedures require the use of special tools that only a Yamaha shop will have. That's where an aftermarket manual like the Clymer version comes in handy, as they use plain English and show you how to make your own tools to do the job. You can start with the smaller tasks, like oil & filter changes and basic checks/adjustments, then as you gain confidence you can tackle the more difficult ones.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Sundog65
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

#5 Unread post by Sundog65 »

Thanks for the tip on the Clymer manual. I have a Haynes that I think is difficult to follow and have lousy pictures.
Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer.

helen560
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: R1

#6 Unread post by helen560 »

That's why I bring my tools kit with me all the time whenever I go on a long trip, no one knows when we have to need tools.

marqpaul73
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: FEFERF

#7 Unread post by marqpaul73 »

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

bidenpriece
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: FEFERF

#8 Unread post by bidenpriece »

If you're handy with tools you can pull the starter and clean the solenoid contacts yourself, or take it to an automotive starter and alternator repair shop. Or just replace the starter. stock market institute in ludhiana
stock market institute in ludhiana
Last edited by bidenpriece on Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CorwinRT
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 2008 CBR650

#9 Unread post by CorwinRT »

Sundog65 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm Thanks for the tip on the Clymer manual. I have a Haynes that I think is difficult to follow and have lousy pictures.
We'll work on my friend's new V-Star project soon after we finished installing the new exhaust from 4Wheelonline onto the truck tomorrow. It has been sitting for about 3 years and the owner said it had starting issues before sitting. Gonna get Clymer manual instead of Haynes.