bschatz62
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1988 Yamaha FZR1000

How to change oil in 88' Yamaha FZR1000

#1 Unread post by bschatz62 »

How do I change the oil in a 1988 Yamaha FZR1000, and what grade oil do I use? What is the capacity?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: How to change oil in 88' Yamaha FZR1000

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Bryan and welcome to the forum. I'm going to suggest that you get a service manual for your bike because I can only give you general ideas about servicing your bike. Now I'd use Shell Rotella 15W40 as it's only $12 to $15 at Wallyworld for a gallon. (Don't use automotive oil) Then I'd check NAPA to see if they carry the filter. Place the bike on it's center stand. Remove any plastic that's in the way. Locate the bolt at the bottom of the engine. Place a suitable container under the engine and remove the bolt. Allow the oil to drain. Locate the circular cover that has a bolt through the middle of it. It could be on the front, side or bottom of the engine. This cover has the oil filter inside of it. Remove this bolt (don't lose any little springs or other parts) and the filter. Reassemble and add oil until it's ¾ the way up the sight glass. Run the engine till it's at operating temperature. Check the sight glass again. When the engine is hot it should be ½ up the sight glass.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

bschatz62
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1988 Yamaha FZR1000

#3 Unread post by bschatz62 »

Thanks for the info JohnJ! Have ordered a service manual and will proceed from there! Bryan

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

#4 Unread post by fzrbiker »

If its your first time to change the oil, it would be better to have it done by the pro so that you can observe and ask direct questions. Using a lift would be safer and easier to work around and yes don't use automotive oil. Use the prescribed oil as per manual.