neverdie38
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 1981 cm400A

1985 xj700 cam chain adjustment

#1 Unread post by neverdie38 »

ok i am a pretty decent mechanic but i am having trouble with my 85 xj700 "airhead" cam chain adjustment. i have been through several forums and always get a roundabout answer. i aligned the "c" mark on the contact plate with the pointer, went under the carbs and saw a 12mm bolt sticking horizontally out of jug and then saw a 10mm bolt with a 14mm jam nut sticking vertically out of case. now all of the forums i have looked at say "it's the 10mm bolt with the 12mm jam nut sticking out of cylinders". so you can see where my confusion is. the 10mm bolt with jam nut is almost unreachable to adjust but it looks like other cam chain adjusters i have seen. does anybody have any knowledge as to which one is correct?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: 1985 xj700 cam chain adjustment

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

The one that doesn't look like the right thing, isn't it.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

neverdie38
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 1981 cm400A

Re: 1985 xj700 cam chain adjustment

#3 Unread post by neverdie38 »

hahahahaha that's what i thought but usually don't cam chain adjuster point in towards the dampers? the one with the lock nut was pointing straight down into the case (not towards where chain runs), and the one that doesn't look like it was pointing RIGHT where the cam chain runs! haha