Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Why You Can’t Wax Matte Paint Finishes

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I thought I'd share this with you all:

Why You Can’t Wax Matte Paint Finishes
by James Detmer over at http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/ ... -finishes/

Wax and matte paint are mortal enemies for one reason: wax gradually begins to reverse the ‘flat’ effect. Waxes are most commonly known as protection products that yield a shine, mostly because they’re made of carnauba and filling ingredients. In basic speak, traditional waxes fill imperfections to create an even surface. Problem is, matte paint is full of imperfections. In fact, it’s those very imperfections and microscopic dimples that diffuse light rays and make the surface appear non-reflective to the human eye. Now I know what you’re thinking… what does that mean? I put together some visuals that may clarify this concept a bit further.

The even clear coat creates a reflective finish on glossy cars.

Matte paint diffuses light, therefore creating a visibly non-reflective surface.

Now for protection. As you would imagine, adding a wax or sealant to a glossy car essentially adds to the surfaces ability to reflect light specularly. By covering up and filling in blemishes, any scratches or swirls that would otherwise be noticed by scattering light are successfully filled and shielded from your vision. With matte paint, if this happens, you lose your non-reflective appearance. As you can see, enough wax would begin to reverse the matte effect. Because of matte paint’s need for untraditional means of protection Matte Paint Sealant was born. As the diagram shows, its unique chemistry bonds to the surface at the molecular level and does not fill like a wax would. Unlike any other protection product available for matte paint, the surface remains ‘flat’ and not glossy.

Wax fills and can make matte paint begin to appear glossy.

Matte Paint Sealant keeps matte paint non-reflective while protecting it.

So you see, waxing a matte car essentially reverses the effect that makes your ‘flat’ painted car unique. All paste or liquified waxes should be avoided, as the idea behind carnauba (for example) is to fill imperfections. Once again, it’s those imperfections that make matte finishes appear the way they do. Hopefully this clarifies a bit of the worry surrounding matte paint, and I trust you’ll invest in properly protecting the paint to retain its unique appearance.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

Re: Why You Can’t Wax Matte Paint Finishes

#2 Unread post by fzrbiker »

I do agree, but I use spray wax like meguiars ultimate wax are great in protecting your matte finish paint, It can protect for some weeks and very easy to apply.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

fzrbiker wrote:I do agree, but I use spray wax like meguiars ultimate wax are great in protecting your matte finish paint, It can protect for some weeks and very easy to apply.
I would strongly recommend NOT to use any spray wax on a matte paint finish as if you do, you will ruin the matteness of it and end up with a stain finish. I appreciate the suggestion but I wouldn't advise it to others for a matte finish. For a glossy paint finish, definitely a good recommendation though.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Did you mess up your bike finish Mike? :lol:
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars