VTR1000 Superchicken fairing

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

VTR1000 Superchicken fairing

#1 Unread post by Fargo360 »

So I had to dump my 'Hawk this spring because a cop decided he needed to pull out in front of me...thats another story, came out pretty good, helmet saved my life and made a critical accident a pretty mundane one. Anyhoo, the 'Hawk is now in need of some body work, not that it looks bad, I would just like to fix the cracked fairings. I didn't get any insurance from the city, and I don't have collision on the 'Hawk so I'm paying out of my pocket. I was looking on ebay at the "abs plastic" sets that come from china. Any thoughts on those, there are some that look pretty sweet. The other question is, will a fairing set for a VTR1000 SP1/SP2 fit my standard model (except for the headlight of course) or is that a completely different model. Thanks much!
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: VTR1000 Superchicken fairing

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're ok!

I'll keep my eyes open for a fairing, but they're pretty uncommon to come across.

As for the fairing from the RC51, I'm pretty sure it won't fit. I'd go over to bikebandit or somewhere with a parts fiche and look at the exploded views of the frame/fairing. I know for a fact that the suspension isn't interchangeable, and that the motors are pretty much 100% different internally other than they both have 996 ccs of displacement.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

RC51 fairings are off a completely different frame and will not fit. When I dumped my Superchicken I was lucky that my buddies picked up the pieces as I was being carted away. I then put them back together using JB-Weld (no kidding - it will only work on some grades of abs), filled the blemishes with spot-puddy and prepped it. I then took it to a body shop for a $100 paint job and they did an awesome job. The result lasted at least 10 years until I sold the bike - and likely beyond. I have no experience with the Chinese body-work but if the price was right (super-cheap) I'd give it a try.

This was the result:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Glad High_Side chimed in here, he is the expert opinion on VTR fairings. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

#5 Unread post by fzrbiker »

I agree the RC51 has a different fairing and fitting and will surely not be compatible with your hawk. It would be best to look for oem fairing. Yes they are expensive but would be more durable than china made abs plastics.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Fargo360 wrote:So I had to dump my 'Hawk this spring because a cop decided he needed to pull out in front of me...
Sucks to find out that metal and plastic doesn't slow you as well as rubber and brakes.

Which fairings are you looking at? Full set? Right/left side only? Upper/lower?

If you're near a track chances are you can find a guy that fixes plastics for cheap. This guy hangs around our local tracks and gets the job done cheap

https://www.facebook.com/4podiumglass
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars