motorcritter
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: Ducati

K & L fuel petcock repair kits

#1 Unread post by motorcritter »

anyone with experience with K & L petcock repair kits- specifically the p/n 18-2701, it's listed for the 84-5 VF700S Sabre- I've got an 82 VF750S with a leaky fuel valve. Will it work? And, whose got the best deal/availability?

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: K & L fuel petcock repair kits

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

motorcritter wrote:anyone with experience with K & L petcock repair kits- specifically the p/n 18-2701, it's listed for the 84-5 VF700S Sabre- I've got an 82 VF750S with a leaky fuel valve. Will it work? And, whose got the best deal/availability?

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Well if your bike is not listed in the application then it probably will not work.

Where is it leaking from? The kit may not always contain what you need.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

motorcritter
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: Ducati

Re: K & L fuel petcock repair kits

#3 Unread post by motorcritter »

The circular washer w/ 4 holes (distribution valve) is deformed and rotted. The diaphragm was split also (this bike sat quite a while with untreated fuel in it), I used a diaphragm from another Honda petcock I had in my parts bin, but the distribution valve was not the same diameter. The later model VF700S has a rebuildable unit, the earlier VF750S did not, I had to drill out the staked fasteners and tap the body to inspect and attempt a repair.

I was curious if anyone had done this fix. I have found a pretty high rate of interchangeability with regard to cycle parts. The smaller displacement Honda multis have a slightly smaller fuel petcock set-up, even though the vacuum diaphragm is the same size as the larger ones.

Just looking for some input and experience.