Front Wheel Bearings...ooooops & I feel SMAS coming on...

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Front Wheel Bearings...ooooops & I feel SMAS coming on...

#1 Unread post by madjak30 »

When I replaced my front wheel this spring, I obviously got new wheel bearings and installed them...I don't have a press so I went with the "500 taps on a 'right size' socket" theory...the rim was a tight fit on the forks, but I gotter done...well, today a few things were made quite clear...

first off, bleed the brakes when ever you remove the calipers and hang them...went to stop and the front brake lever pulled all the way to the throttle, moment of panic until I released and grabbed again...full power, obviously an air bubble (complete pucker moment)...

second, the 'other' fork seal is leaking really badly and making a huge mess, not to mention coating the rotor with oil which is really helping the braking distance :frusty: ...

third, and most important, I didn't get the bearings fully seated...they started snapping and popping on the way to work...so I rode over to the dealer to ask what the problem could be (hadn't quite figured what the noise was yet), and in my frustration I asked if they would be interested in taking the MT-01 in trade on a new bike...they looked at me and said "no, they're too hard to sell"...straight face, no smile...they're the jerk offs that sold it to me...DAMN!! :rant: by the time I was on my way home it fealt like I was riding in loose gravel...not good :shock:

Anyway, I've since figured out the problem and will order new parts (and get them to press them in properly :wink: )...then it will hit Kijiji...

SMAS - Sudden Motorcycle Acquisition Syndrome. I want a sport touring bike :mrgreen: ....I'm eyeing up a Yamaha FJR1300 or a Honda ST1300...might consider a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom, but not sure about it...nothing wrong with the bike, super comfortable but I like the range of the touring bikes...

We'll see...I'm going to miss the sound of the MT-01, but I think having 400kms+ of range will sound better to me!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Front Wheel Bearings...ooooops & I feel SMAS coming on..

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

When I'm changing out wheel bearings I use a propane torch to heat the wheel and knock them out. Then I use a long piece of all-thread and a couple of pieces plate steel to press the new bearings home.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

Excellent tip! But I want to be sure they are seated correctly this time...the bike will be hitting Kijiji (similar to Craig's List), so I don't want any issues.

New wheel bearings and steering head bearings, along with new fork seal...then off to someone else's house...

Later.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

I'm having issues with giving up my MT-01...I'm thinking that maybe I should build a custom bike from the MT-01 and create an MT-01 Touring...I just can't give up the intoxicating sound and feel of the bike...as nice a the FJR would be, I just love my MT-01. A new windscreen will be required...(I won't get much for a crash repaired bike, so why not?)

Later.