EatenbyAsphalt
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki ER-6n

Why does the chain pop?

#1 Unread post by EatenbyAsphalt »

So, I have this issue with what sounds like my chain popping when I take off. A buddy of mine tells me that it maybe b/c I haven't greased it. Not something I thought of, so I was handed a can of white lithium grease by my dad who hasn't ridden a bike in 40 years. It seemed to do the trick for a few days then it started happening again. It doesn't feel like the tranny, it feels like the chain is kinked and just snapping out when it pops. I don't garage my bike b/c I don't have a garage. I see no reason to cover my bike when I ride it daily. Look, I don't need your moral outrage over how I care for my bike. I'm not you with your options, I have my options and I do the best I can with them. So, if you have some comment about how I don't take care of my bike or some other nonsense go eff yourself. I'm looking for information not a father figure to tell me how to take care of what I own.

So if you have an idea of why this is happening and what I can do to fix the issue, I'd be happy to listen.
The faster the bike I get, the less of a coffin I'm gonna need, more like a ziplock bag.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Why does the chain pop?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Meh, only reason to cover a bike is to protect the seat/paint from crap or to keep it from being easily ID'd for theft.

Anyway have you adjusted your chain? Sounds to me like it's a bit loose. If you can move your chain more than 1.5 inches up and down while the bike is on the sidestand, you should tighten it up.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

EatenbyAsphalt
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by EatenbyAsphalt »

Nope, haven't tightened the chain. Had the bike for a year and 3 months, Almost 10,000 miles at this point. Is this a case of removing links to tighten the chain?
The faster the bike I get, the less of a coffin I'm gonna need, more like a ziplock bag.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

No, you should be able to adjust the chain at the rear wheel by moving the rear wheel toward the back by using the "chain adjusters". For long chain life you should oil the chain every 400 to 500 miles, and change out the chain and sprockets when it reaches the end of the adjustment. Or check the service interval in your bike's service manual.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

EatenbyAsphalt
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by EatenbyAsphalt »

Thats gonna require a trip to the shop since I have no clue how to do that and no one near me that knows anything about bikes. THanks for the info though. I'll get this taken care.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

EatenbyAsphalt wrote:Thats gonna require a trip to the shop since I have no clue how to do that and no one near me that knows anything about bikes.
Taking it to the shop is gonna cost you. Generally chain adjustment is considered owner maintenance, like checking oil and coolant levels, etc. It's not hard on most bikes. Do you have your Owners Manual? I would be surprised if the instructions aren't there.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

EatenbyAsphalt
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by EatenbyAsphalt »

Yeah, I have my manual. Your talking to a dumb@$$ noobie here. I'll check the manual and see if it is. And if it is, I'll be doing this weekend myself.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

It's pretty easy. Search youtube and tons of videos pop up. I just did mine earlier today (pulled off both wheels and lubed everything up, made sure bearings/brakes were good, all of that.)
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

EatenbyAsphalt
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by EatenbyAsphalt »

Thanks all for the help. Spent 5 hours driving all over town looking for a torque wrench and socket for the rear axle nut. Then it was about 30 to 45 minutes of work. Made sure the wheel was aligned, took it out for a slow roll with the wife following me and everthing is on the up and up. Rode it into work this morning and handled like my baby should. No shake or wobble.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Good to hear! Told ya it's not hard! Oh and always use the cotter pin on that rear axle nut. I've seen it where a guy didn't do that, the nut vibrated off, and somehow or other he didn't notice until he pulled into our shop for a new tire. The rear axle was almost completely out of one side and the adjustment block was gone...