Cruiserider
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: 2009 VStar 1300T

VStar 1300 valve adjustment info

#1 Unread post by Cruiserider »

I have a 2009 VStar 1300, and after taking it to the dealer a couple of times for the periodic valve adjustment, I'm very much wanting to do the job myself to save money. I'm a service tech and work on mail processing equipment, so I'm mechanically savy. Does anyone have a step by step procedure for doing this? I've been told that the factory manual has you removing several things that are not really necessary. I know from experience that in the real world, there are tips from experienced mechanics on cutting through the clutter and getting the job done easier and quicker, bypassing the unecessary steps. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I want to be more self-sufficient on maintaining my bike. I love it, and want to spend more money on trips and less on the shop.
Bikes I've owned:
'68 Honda 305 Superhawk
'70 Honda CB100 (paper route :)
Honda 550 four
'71 HD Sportster
'75 Honda 750
Honda 500
'70 Honda Goldwing
'07 Honda 1100 Shadow Spirit
'09 VStar 1300T

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: VStar 1300 valve adjustment info

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

To be honest, the service manual is your best way of doing it. You don't have to remove everything it says, just get access to it, but if I were you, I'd have someone that's done valve adjustments before there with you to help.
I'm not familiar with your mechanical background, but make sure you can use a feeler gauge correctly, it's vital in this case.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Alan, unless you have an experienced Yamaha service tech to show you the ropes it's best not to take any shortcuts, at least the first couple of times. BTW what do you work on, flat sorters, DBCS's, APPS, or the monster FSS
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Dang, just how many posties on here besides me???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"