SportsterKing
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2007/Harley/Sportster 1200 Low

'07 sporty 1200 low "hiccups"

#1 Unread post by SportsterKing »

My level of mechanical experience: Almost none, although I do pride myself on doin rocker box gasket repairs.
2007 Sportster 1200 Low
17,000 miles
Reinhart exhaust
SE air filter kit
**All mods were made by previous owner who sold the bike back to HD dealer with only 3300 miles on it in July 2010 when I purchased it.

Almost immediately after purchasing this bike a little over a year ago I noticed some "hiccuping." In fact, while at the bay doors ready to pull away with my new purchase I noticed hiccuping as it idled. When I mentioned this to the sales person they said it's likely because it's been sitting (while waiting to be sold) and who knows what quality of gas the previous owner was using. Just blow through a couple of tanks of gas and always refill using top octane. So I did. Still the problem continued to the point where during initial start-up idling it would hiccup so bad it would actually cut off. I brought it back to the shop wherein they told me it was some blown fuses, which they replaced, and sent me on my way. I immediately noticed the problem again and now I noticed that trying to get the bike anywhere over 70 MPH was a major issue. It just kind of "hung" at 70 without pulling any more power from it and after riding for anything over 30 minutes it would start to run very rough. I again brought it back to which they kept sending it back to me with BS answers. I told them to really ride it - not around the block but for a good solid ride and they finally admitted there was a problem. Eventually they put on stock pipes on it and there was a noticeable improvement to the entire ride. However, HD was not willing to cut me any discount or in-store credit for future purchases to compensate for downgrading my exhaust for a pre-existing problem they never caught. They're only option was to put baffles on it to make the pipes louder, which they initially told me I'd have to pay for. I told them to go to hell and put my pipes back on as-is and left the matter alone.

Over time the matter hasn't gotten worse, but it's still very much there. So the main symptoms are:
1. Lack of power after 70 MPH
2. Cold start idling hiccups and sometimes stalls during warm-up
3. While riding, especially towards the higher end of a gear for any length of time and then slowing down, it sputts almost sound like little popping back-fires.It will do this generally but I've noticed I'm guaranteed a sputting backfire sound after riding a gear towards the higher RPM limit (although the bike NEVER sounds like it's revving or redlining, though there's no TACH on the bike)

Now that I moved out of the state I'm riding a lot more and it's been driving me crazy. Since the weather is perfect for spending a day repairing without dying of heat stroke and we're going into the off-season I'd like to see about fixing this issue once and for all. Hopefully without going to HD.

Now.... I have only a large set of socket wrench/pieces and a couple of wrenches (both are SAE and metric, socket set does include some extenders and deep sets). I can get torque wrenches (next on my list) and a lift for reasonable prices if needed. I also, of course, have a full set of allen wrenches. I have very little mechanically ability but I do have a manual. Unfortunately the manual is for '06 and earlier models that I was able to DL off the web but it seems the only difference with the manual is that it doesn't cover fuel injection as 06 was still carb. So if you can please explain things in dummy terms it would be really appreciated. Hell, if you're in the Raleigh, NC area come on over and lend a hand :-) I can order a pizza and some drinks (this is a serious offer, by the way, as I would surely need help).

Over the course of a year people have suggested it could be that the bike likely does not have a power commander or similar device to correct the air/fuel mixture issue. A couple also mentioned it could be a timing issue. Someone suggested I do an OBD check and look up the codes.

However, I have no idea how to do or check any of those suggestions. I'm praying it's not a power commander fix as that's big bucks (according to HD anywhere from $150 for a diagnostic to over $500 for the equipment, installation, and adjustment). Is there a fairly dummy-proof way of checking the OBD and the timing? I don't mind spending time and elbow grease on this little project but I don't want to screw it up either. And also, if you could recommend the tools I'll need to get to do this.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give you guys all the information I could think of upfront to get a thorough response. Thanks in advance

Jude

SportsterKing
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2007/Harley/Sportster 1200 Low

Re: '07 sporty 1200 low "hiccups"

#2 Unread post by SportsterKing »

Ok so I finally got around to this and found a "how-to" on doing this.... I have several codes showing up now the question is how to fix them... And I wonder if these injector codes is why I sputter and stuff.

P0261 and 0263 front and rear injector open/low efi
P1003 system relay contacts open efi

None showed under s
Under sp I got u1064 loss of tsm/tssm serial data efi

What does all this mean in plain English how do I fix and is it doable for a novice like me or is it for a shop? Are we talking big bucks? How bad is it for the bike with these codes?