grim
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda vt500c

The correct tool

#1 Unread post by grim »

Showing my ignorance and inexperience - first job ever on my 25 year old Honda - brake fluid top up - tested 3 crosshead screwdrivers on the screws - all not a snug fit and don't want to end up messing them up - how do you know what cross head to use? When I retighten - how tight? Also can someone give me a guide to getting a basic set of tools. Thanks Grim

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: The correct tool

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Well it's funny that you ask. Actually there are crosshead, phillips, and reed & prince screwheads. They have different profiles. Your looking for a #2 phillips
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Johnj wrote:Well it's funny that you ask. Actually there are crosshead, phillips, and reed & prince screwheads. They have different profiles. Your looking for a #2 phillips

Which is a tool designed exclusively for purpose of quickly and efficiently rounding the profile of any screw head it comes near. :laughing:
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

ceemes wrote:
Johnj wrote:Well it's funny that you ask. Actually there are crosshead, phillips, and reed & prince screwheads. They have different profiles. Your looking for a #2 phillips

Which is a tool designed exclusively for purpose of quickly and efficiently rounding the profile of any screw head it comes near. :laughing:
Yet motorcycle manufacturer insists on using them to fasten engine parts with it. :?

I bought one of these impact screwdrivers years ago and it has been a life saver many times over. Just the other day I had to split the case to put in a new starter in my 900SS and two flat head screws holding the alternator access cover were totally stripped and frozen solid. Overnight soak with WD40 and several whacks from the hammer the next morning and they were loose. :mrgreen:

2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS