soldier12
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1995 yamaha FZR 600

Help please - yamaha FZR 600r plastics / fairing + parts

#1 Unread post by soldier12 »

I just got my first bike, its a yamaha FZR 600r. Its ugly as all get out. The guy before me dropped it so both sides of the front clip were cracked. It just has one big headlight in the front, I"d like more. It only has brights, you can't change it. No blinkers.....I'm sure you get the point. Where could I go to find or order the new plastics? Can I buy plastics from another make that would fit? The tail is kinda blocky, I"d like it to look like a CBR.....Any advice is welcome.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Help please - yamaha FZR 600r plastics / fairing + parts

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: soldier12 to the community!

FYI - I just moved your post from the general forum to a more specific one so you can get more specialized help and advice.

Congratulations on getting your first bike! Sorry to hear it's a work in progress one but anything is better than nothing.

About the modifications... I'd first see if you like that bike first rather than see you spend quite a bit of money on new plastics for it and later find out it's not what you really want. A FZR600R (or any sportbike) is purpose built and if you are not riding it for that purpose you'll soon find it has limitations.

For plastics, if you go new, look to spend over a $1000+ on them. Fairings (as they are called) are NOT CHEAP, that's one of the downsides to owning a sportbike. About adding more lights, well, you really can't (on a Cruiser you can). But you can replace the H4 bulb (or what is in there) with a brighter version (not increased wattage one!), like the Sylvania Silverstar or such.

Fitting a different fairing from another manufacturer can be done, but it's all custom work, expect to easily exceed the cost of this older bike to do this. Again, see if you like it first. As with any new rider, you have a good chance of dropping it once (most likely in your garage or driveway) so wait a bit and scuff up those old fairing before getting new custom ones. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

soldier12
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1995 yamaha FZR 600

Re: Help please - yamaha FZR 600r plastics / fairing + parts

#3 Unread post by soldier12 »

Thanks, the front plastic on it isn't what originally came with the bike. The light it has is just one big circle where there real ones would have been 2 lights. It also doesn't have blinkers, which I just found out is illegal to ride without. I'm trying to be as cheap as possible with it, as I'd rather just upgrade to something else, but don't wanna ride a crappy looking bike around XD

If I can replace the front piece, as its all one giant piece from the front down to the sides, then I"d be ok with the look. The back isn't really scratched up. I realized today when I had the carb off, adjusting the Air to fuel intake screw, that while running it has a bit if a clicking noise in the engine, kinda like when you leave change in the dryer....not sure what it could be or what to do about it though. I've posted the bike on craigslist for quite a bit more then I paid, as I think I got a good deal at 900.