hakx
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 1985 Kawaski ninja

Newbie restoration question 3

#1 Unread post by hakx »

On the 1985 ninja 600, there is some type of electrical component attached to the tireside of the rear fender directly under the passenger seat, (but closer to where the license plate would mount). It is feed by two wires from what appears to be a relay. The one I have on my bike is damaged and corroded beyond repair, but is not associated with the signal or braking function in any regard. I didn't even know it existed until I started tearing down the seating area to access the brake light for a simple bulb swap (after a summer of riding).

It is purpose built, and snapped into factory clips. I don't know why it was ever engineered for there due to exposure to any crude cast from the rear tire...but alas, here we are.

Little help

Hakx

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Newbie restoration question 3

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I think a photo might be needed... any chance of putting one up of this part and the area it's in?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

I think a manual is required for this.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

hakx
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by hakx »

Never mind!

I chased the wiring, and it terminated at a hidden toggle switch. Once I removed it from the bike I looked a little closer, and it appears that a previous owner wired up a small light over the rear tire for that "TRON" look LOL.

I am really starting to hate electrical tape. They're better ways to restore the integrity of chasis wiring or sealing splices than wrapping the SH*T out of it with that stuff!!

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Heat-shrink tubing and a heat gun are your friends.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#6 Unread post by JC Viper »

They also have liquid electrical tape and I've found it works very well for a clean look and effective fix when I had to do wiring on the Vulcan.

Congrats on the old bike. I've an '84 Ninja 900R but the wiring is pristine.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

hakx
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by hakx »

I'm an electronics technician by trade, but the previous owner wasn't...hence my disdain towards e-tape. I have already cleaned up any aftermarket attemps of splicing with solder and heat shrink, & managed unsecured harness with split tube and tie mounts. All indicator bulbs are now LED, and the Bi-Xenon HID headlight conversion went swimmingly.

Man...I can't wait for this seemingly endless winter to, well....END!!

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by JC Viper »

Bi-xenon HID headlight? what brand is it? I'm interested in upgrading from the H4 setup.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

hakx
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by hakx »

Ebay. I don't remember the brand, but it was of European origin from a US vendor. They are very common, but you have to mindful of the conversions with the cheap ballast out of Hong Kong (you want a digital ballast). My high beam is a bright and crisp 6K diamond white.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by JC Viper »

Yeah, I bought an 6K HID kit from an actual bike store in Manhattan and the ballast looks quality but instructions are not. Currently the bike uses an H4 which does both low and high beams and been hesitant to install the HID kit because I need both hi and lo. I've never ventured into modding my headlights, everything else yes (tail lights will be using flexible LED strips from Radiantz and currently working on making flush mount turn signals that look good and are functional with the hazard switch).