HotMess
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: what!? A liter bike? nah..not yet.*grin*

Break in period on the new bike

#1 Unread post by HotMess »

I am getting a new bike this spring. I have been reading the manf user manual and they suggest to keep it under 35-40mph for the first 500 km. I wonder if anybody actually goes through the break in period on their new bike? What are the benefits? How to do this correctly?

Any tips/advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(sorry if it's the wrong forum section. please, feel free to point to the links if this topic was discussed before. thanks.)
My way or nothing at all.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Break in period on the new bike

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

I recommend that you follow the manufactures break-in period. I did with my Buell.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Follow it. There's a few reasons to follow the break-in period on a new bike. First and foremost is ring/crosshatch mating. Don't baby it but keep it under the revs specified by the manufacturer. Open it up a little until you get to the speeds you're breaking it in at. Don't stay at a steady speed for too long, an interstate trip is bad, riding around town is good!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

HotMess
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: what!? A liter bike? nah..not yet.*grin*

#4 Unread post by HotMess »

Wrider wrote:Follow it. There's a few reasons to follow the break-in period on a new bike. First and foremost is ring/crosshatch mating. Don't baby it but keep it under the revs specified by the manufacturer. Open it up a little until you get to the speeds you're breaking it in at. Don't stay at a steady speed for too long, an interstate trip is bad, riding around town is good!
That's what I thought. Will have to wait to take her on the highway until I finish the break-in period. Thanks.
My way or nothing at all.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Best of luck with it, it is VERY frustrating to own a brand new bike and not be able to open 'er up, but you'll be happy that you did it!

:mrgreen:
Andrea :sun: