600 mile service necessary?

tortus
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

600 mile service necessary?

#1 Unread post by tortus »

Hey all,

I've owned my bike now about 10 days, put just over 600 miles on it now. My manual says at this point I need to replace the oil, oil filter and get the valves adjusted. Ok.

I went to my dealer to schedule the service. I'm clearly a newb, and after I tell the guy what my bike is (yamaha v star classic 650), he pulls down a suzuki manual and thumbs through it looking for what I need to have done at 600 miles -- a valve adjustment. He says all in all it'll be about $180 for the work. The whole exchange felt fishy to me.

If this is really the right thing to do, then sure, I'll do it. I don't want to jeopardize my bike.

But is $180 for what I'm assuming is just a valve adjustment about right? He never mentioned anything about an oil change, just the valves. I plan to change the oil myself anyway.

And don't most dealers offer this 600 mile service for free? Just about everyone I've spoken to who has bought a bike has said this should be free.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Yes, you really should have the 600 mile service done. As for the dealer, that is very high in my opinion. I honestly can't remember what mine cost but, I know it wasn't more than $50. They changed the engine oil and checked the valves, other fluids, bolts, tire pressure, etc. Basically, gave the bike a good once over to make sure everything was working correctly.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Scoutmedic wrote:Yes, you really should have the 600 mile service done. As for the dealer, that is very high in my opinion. I honestly can't remember what mine cost but, I know it wasn't more than $50. They changed the engine oil and checked the valves, other fluids, bolts, tire pressure, etc. Basically, gave the bike a good once over to make sure everything was working correctly.
This is what it should cost. My dealer wanted $600 unless I bought the first 5 services in advance... then $400
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Phat_J
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Phat_J »

180.00 sounds reasonable for the first service. I have a Yamaha too so I know the pains of having to do the valve adjustment. Usually they package the adjustment and oil/filter change together with that first service, but make sure. I would definitely change at least the oil/filter and transaxle fluid if your bike is a shaft drive.
2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

When the bike is new and just getting broken in, the oil will have metal flakes in it. It is important to have that oil drained out (hot) so that the crud comes out with it. You don't want that staying in your engine.

Not all dealers offer it for free. And yes, the first service is expensive.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

blues2cruise wrote:When the bike is new and just getting broken in, the oil will have metal flakes in it. It is important to have that oil drained out (hot) so that the crud comes out with it. You don't want that staying in your engine.

My first service only called for an oil and filter change along with making sure all the bolts were still tight. No valve checks or anything. $400.

I did it on my own, checked my valves (perfectly in the middle of tolerances btw), changed my oil and filter (did this first at 50 miles), made sure all my bolts were torqued correctly and added loctite to some pesky ones known to come loose... and then added stuff. If you are mechanically inclined or have a garage a six pack and know someone who's mechanically inclined- you can save alot of money.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

storysunfolding wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:When the bike is new and just getting broken in, the oil will have metal flakes in it. It is important to have that oil drained out (hot) so that the crud comes out with it. You don't want that staying in your engine.

My first service only called for an oil and filter change along with making sure all the bolts were still tight. No valve checks or anything. $400.

I did it on my own, checked my valves (perfectly in the middle of tolerances btw), changed my oil and filter (did this first at 50 miles), made sure all my bolts were torqued correctly and added loctite to some pesky ones known to come loose... and then added stuff. If you are mechanically inclined or have a garage a six pack and know someone who's mechanically inclined- you can save alot of money.
I just looked in my manual. The first service on the V-Star included
Valves
Carbuerators
Clutch
Brakes...check and adjust both front and back
Steering bearings
Oil and filter and element
Fnal Gear oil - change
control cables - lube

Perhaps Honda's valves are self adjusting which is why yours didn't need to be done.
It cost me $282.00 CDN

$400. US sure does seem like a lot. Surely it must cover more than an oil and filter?

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#8 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i have an 06 classic and i changed my own oil and final gear oil also.
I am in the proicess of tightening most of my bolts and will wait for my valves to be adjusted.
I think you may also want to search the intern for a "C, C& D" forum that V STar owners chat about taking care of your bike.
they'l help you w/ everything related to youe V Star.

Also, sooner rather than later, you'll want to make a Carb. Synch tool ( About $6) and make sure your carbs are synched.
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Sicko »

One thing I learned when I had the 600 mile service done on my late Shadow was the dealer service dept was totally unprofessional and that I'd be a fool to ever let them touch my bike again. I can't complain about the price ($135.00) but the hillbilly mechanic asking his buddy "Hey Earl, what should I charge for adjustin' the valves?" Didn't exactly instill confidence in me. From then on, I did all the routine maintenance myself and vowed that if I ever had to take her to a dealer, it would not be the dealer I bought her from.

tortus
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by tortus »

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I'll take it in on Tuesday for the service.

I'm hoping to learn most maintenance my own, so I won't have to bother with dealer's prices one of these days :)