Whats with That?

whozyomama
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Whats with That?

#1 Unread post by whozyomama »

My beautiful old '83 Shadow (750) has been assaulted !!!!

Ya, I know, I should have brought her home the weekend before, but the battery was dead.....

I had it stored in mum's garage. We told her, if it is in your way, call us and we will move it - DONT ATTEMPT IT YOURSELF. So of course, supermom doesnt bother to phone, but tries to move it herself -- of course, it falls on top of her and pins her under it. There was a thick heavy metal bar within reach which she used to "pry her way out from under the bike" ...(and from the looks of the bike, she gave it a couple of whacks after she got out from under it ) (and she doesn't bother to call us after the fact and the bike is laying on its side for who knows how long..).. :cry: :cry: :bash:

on Good Friday, I call to let her know we were coming to get the bike and she goes ballistic on me......! (She wasn't hurt -- which is more than I can say for the bike....)

anyway, now the bike is back-firing, smoking, and there doesn't seem to be any compression !! Hubby managed to ride it home for me, but it was not an easy task....! The only problem with the bike before this was the battery needed charging !!!

Could this incident have wrecked my bike?
I didn't have it insured yet, coz it was being stored in a fort knox of a garage.....!!!

What's with that???? :crybaby:

JJ
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by JJ »

Yeah Mothers have a way of sucking the fun out of anything.

Try a spring tune up before getting too upset with mummy. Retighten the cylinder heads and if compression doesn't return see if you can find damage in the fins somewhere. I don't think she could have whacked it hard enough however. The cylinders have an iron or steel sleeve under the aluminum.

You mentioned your bike is an '83. You might have a compression issue due to wear or blew a head gasket at some point and not realized it.

It sounds like you definitely need a mechanic!

jj

PS wanna make her feel real guilty? leave a repair estimate on the kitchen table next time she is over. Don't say anything and when you know she's seen it, and her jaw drops, take it away from her saying 'oh don't worry yourself about that' :twisted:
Look for me at the next bike rally
middle aged, fat, black T-shirt & jeans
Easy to spot eh?

bennettoid
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by bennettoid »

Hell with that- give her the bill.
'94 vulcan 750

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by old-n-slow »

More than likely, dropping the bike loosened some buildup in the carbs which plugged a jet. My guess is the carbs will reguire cleaning.

Sounds like my mother. Could it be that you are a long lost sibling? :laughing:
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#5 Unread post by oldnslo »

That mother would be reason never to go home again. She seems to need help and supervision.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#6 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Seems like a detailed renegotiation of your relationship is just about in order right now.

Or maybe just quiet submission and withdrawal. Mothers? They have a way of doing things all their own.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

the_first_lonewolf
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2006/Harley-Davidson/Roadking

#7 Unread post by the_first_lonewolf »

Valuable lesson learned...never store bikes at moms again... :wink:

Lonewolf
Everyone has the right to have a faith but no one faith is right for everyone.