Firefox

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#21 Unread post by liablemtl »

I've been using firefox at home and at work now for about 3 weeks. I like it. I've only found one site which didn't allow me to use it... but I've had no problems with it otherwise.
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#22 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:TMW even gets visitors using Netscape 2.02!
Mike's a technical voyeur?

quickly deletes popcorn collection
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#23 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Nibblet99 wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:TMW even gets visitors using Netscape 2.02!
Mike's a technical voyeur?
You can thank our stastics server for that one. :D I can see lots of non-personal or identifying stastics and facts. :D

Like for Firefox, only 4% of visitors to TMW use it. While 91% of TMW visitors use Internet Explorer.

11 people found Total Motorcycle by typing in: jockey shift

162 found TMW by typing in: 2006 motorcycles

8609 peopled Added TMW to favorites this month so far. :D

44 people from Saint Kitts & Nevis Anguilla, 655 from Qatar, and 105,878 from India visited this month so far along with 180 other countries... Cool eh? Top 3 countries? USA #1, Canada/UK flip flop for #2/#3.

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#24 Unread post by BuzZz »

I am still deciding what I think about Firefox. Fred likes it, but Barney fears change and is slightly off-put by it.

I prefer E.I for bumbling around TMW. The way it looks and acts is more apealing to me here, probably due to Barny's whimpering. I was never bothered by the few pop-ups I get here, and my software just minimizes it instantly so it makes no difference to me. I will be surfing this site in E.I.

Still learning how to use Firefox so I ain't giving up yet..... time will tell if I deside to like this or not.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#25 Unread post by Sev »

Hehehehehehe,
Firefox is learning to emulate IE. I've run into a whopping 2 pages since I got firefox (over a year ago) that it did not load correctly. They now load correctly.

Use firefox, it's faster, cleaner, configurable, has tabbed browsing, and functions almost exactly like IE. Oh, and pop-ups? What are those? Haven't had one in FOREVER!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#26 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Sevulturus wrote:...and functions almost exactly like IE.
Ah, the key word... ALMOST.... Humm, sounds like Diet Coke tasting ALMOST like Coke or Tofu tasting ALMOST like real meat.... You can keep the Diet Coke and Tofu, I'll stick with with a T-Bone steak and a Coke. :D

But what is the point using it if it alters the look of a site? I do know that Total Motorcycle.com does not look or behave the same using Firefox to browse it. I can only imagine other sites like yahoo.com (#1 ranked webste in the world) are the same.

Mike.

Sevulturus - FYI, remember it's the Ads and Popups that keep Total Motorcycle on the internet.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Toyuzu
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#27 Unread post by Toyuzu »

totalmotorcycle wrote: But what is the point using it if it alters the look of a site? I do know that Total Motorcycle.com does not look or behave the same using Firefox to browse it. I can only imagine other sites like yahoo.com (#1 ranked webste in the world) are the same.
Mike,

I have TMW open in both IE and Firefox right now at the same time. I see no difference..... :?

Maybe I'll try the "front page" to see if it's only the forums that look the same.

Edit: The only difference I see is the abscense of popups and adds in Firefox. There was a Subaru add on the IE viewed page that wasn't on Firefox.

Oh, and Firefox loaded the page much faster.
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

Skier

#28 Unread post by Skier »

totalmotorcycle wrote:But what is the point using it if it alters the look of a site? I do know that Total Motorcycle.com does not look or behave the same using Firefox to browse it. I can only imagine other sites like yahoo.com (#1 ranked webste in the world) are the same.
For what it's worth, I can't remember more than a half dozen web pages that look different in Firefox then IE. And those were due to the web site not following standards for HTML. They made their site look good in IE, working around IE's rendering engine screwups and calling it a day. I'd much rather see a site that follows standards and requests users to change their browser since theirs is not working as specified.

What really gets my goat is when sites specifically code against Firefox. For a while, my bank just wouldn't let me in to check my account online if I was using Firefox, since it didn't work. A bit of User Agent string spoofing and it thought I was running IE and it worked just fine. :roll:

On the topic of exploits and attacks on Mozilla and its projects (such as Firefox), I doubt it's ever going to get as bad as IE currently is. First, you have a smaller user base. It makes sense to target IE users, they make up a majority of the users on the 'net, and since IE is so integrated into Windows, it's quite easy to gain control of the entire system. With Firefox and other Mozilla projects, it isn't true.

A major difference between the two products is how they handle security. Microsoft uses security through obscurity - they count on how their program works being unkown, so it's harder to attack. Look how well that has worked for their operating systems in the past.

The Mozilla projects are open source - you have thousands of people from all over the world taking a look at the source code, exaiming it for bugs, possibilities for exploitations and other possibly insecure areas. These same people can describe the problem, how they fixed it and provide it to the developers. I believe this is why Mozilla/Firefox is never going to be the spyware/adware/malware magnet IE currently is.

I now step down from the soap box and will let someone else take their turn. :)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

dean
Rookie
Rookie

#29 Unread post by dean »

I've noticed some people complain that certain pages will only run in IE. Users of Firefox should routinely check on extensions for the browser, which is why the browser in my opinion is superior. Fewer exploits for virus creators as well. One extension I have allows Firefox to open IE-only pages in IE by right-clicking on the page. A drop menu appears with the option to "open in IE." Multiple tabbing is ridiculously great, and like TiVO, you will soon wonder how you lived without it. The pages auto-refresh as well, and you can customize that to your liking. This is useful if you want to have your various e-mail clients running in the background tabs while your favorite motorcycle forum (*ahem*) runs in the foreground tab. Just my two cents.