oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

Terri Schiavo

#1 Unread post by oldnslo »

This is big news down here, Terry Schiavo being the woman brain-damaged by a stroke some ten years ago, supported by feeding tubes since, and has been described as in a vegetative state. She had no medical directives in place at the time.
Now, in the face of her estranged husband's wishes to disconnect the feeding tubes and by doing so let her die, Terri's family has been insisting recovery is possible, although nothing notable of a positive nature has occurred in the past ten years. This has gone all the way to congress and the president, who signed a bill into law ordering the re-connection of Terri's feeding tubes, which had been disconnedted a couple days ago.
My question is, WHAT THE F**K DOES THE crazy donkey FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAVE TO DO WITH ALL THIS? Does this mean that in the absence of a health directive, a member of our family can, if he disagrees with the rest of the family about our care, petition the US Supreme Court, get the ear of congress and the prez, his ever-comical self, and have a law created just for this situation, with our name at the top?
A new way to 15 minutes of fame.......maybe longer :evil:
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

rwp
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Terri Schiavo

#2 Unread post by rwp »

oldnslo wrote:Does this mean that in the absence of a health directive, a member of our family can, if he disagrees with the rest of the family about our care, petition the US Supreme Court, get the ear of congress and the prez, his ever-comical self, and have a law created just for this situation, with our name at the top?
Yes. Congress and the prez are only too happy to take time off from important issues like dealing with the growing federal debt in order to settle family disputes.
GSX1216F

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

They have to cater to the fundamentalists who really eat this stuff up.

How else are they going to have the backing to declare another Holy War?

Puh-rayse JEEsus! :frusty:

DEUS VULT!
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

houk
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#4 Unread post by houk »

Yea, Terri's poor husband probably wont get to collect all that insurance money if she don't die soon. I guess he spent the million he got for the malpractice settlement already. He was probably counting on that money to send his girlfriend's kids to college.
My point, put your last wishes in writing,do it today, then there will be no doubt.
04 HD XL1200R

75 Suzuki GT 550

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#5 Unread post by oldnslo »

Very true. This case is an awful mess. Hubby certainly doesn't look like a totally straight-up guy, and Terri's family seems delusional. Good grief.
If this doesn't stop, it's likely to delay our declaration of war on Iran or North Korea or somewhere......George is so easily distracted.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#6 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

oldnslo wrote:If this doesn't stop, it's likely to delay our declaration of war on Iran or North Korea or somewhere......George is so easily distracted.
Nah, it's our turn to pick the war destination.... bring on france :twisted:
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by 9000white »

it serves 2 purposes to get congress involved in something like this--first it gives people something to think about instead of what a bunch of incompetent thieving fools our congressmen are.and it keeps the lawyers rolling in money.also is there an end to George Bush,s buffonery??wouldn't it be great if he would go to Iraq and ride in an unarmored vehicle and think about his right to life baloney.
dr bob

mikepel
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by mikepel »

When Bush and his fellow congressmen went after the christian vote last election it wasn't because he was a church goer himself, He IS God and the republican congress are his Saints.

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Quote: My point, put your last wishes in writing,do it today, then there will be no doubt. Unquote:

Hogwash. Next door neighbor nursed her dying sister for two full years before she passed away. The sister left her everything. However her other sisters, who incidentally had nothing to do with the dying girl during her illness, petitioned the court for their share of the leavings and got it..........

Now the good samaritan sister has to sell her house, or mortgage it to the hilt to pay her siblings. Don't be too sure that what you put in your will, is ever going to happen the way you hope it will.
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

Ain't family great sometimes? How do some people justify thier actions to themselves? :roll:
No Witnesses.... :shifty: