Shoe Box Of Joy and Happiness

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Shoe Box Of Joy and Happiness

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Well, Canada's Thanksgiving is pretty much over, and people throughout the Great White North are lying there lethargic in a turkey induced coma, so I guess I will now talk about the upcoming Festive Season, you know Christmas, Hanukkah, Diwali and others. What this I hear you say? It's too early? Canada's Thanksgiving is barely over, America's is a month away, plus Halloween is a couple of weeks away. True, and for the most part I agree with you, it is far too soon to think about the commercial aspects of Christmas, yes I am talking to you Walmart et al. and it is way too soon to be bombard by insipid Christmas music while on hold.

However, it is not too soon to think about shoe boxes, more specifically Christmas Shoe Boxes for those kids in far off lands and at home truth be told where Christmas or what have you is just another day of misery. Now, we in the west are spoiled, too spoiled for our own good in fact, and our kids have it better then we do. We for the most part have plenty to eat, shelter, clothing for all occasions and flipping toys coming out of ears, toys that we quickly get bored with, throw away and replace without so-much of a thought.

There are those in far off lands and close to home who do not enjoy such luxuries. Having a full belly all day is a day to celebrate and remember for many. Having something new to call their own becomes a cherished treasure. Now I have personally seen this myself and I am sure our friend from the Philippine Grey Thumper can back me up on, is that when a child has next to nothing, having something even as simple as a bright coloured plastic head band, a small toy, or crayons to call their own brings them a joy that many of our own kids would only show if they got the latest gaming console or iPhone.

So what does this have to do with shoe boxes and you? Simple really, many charities, church groups and even supermarkets have shoe box programmes in place, indeed they will even supply you with one. All you have to do is fill it with age appropriate stuff, simple things like a colouring book, crayons, pens, pencils, a note book, socks, undies, hats, t-shirts, small toys (nothing war like, so no toy guns please, many of these kids have to live the real things, they don't need such toys) soap, tooth brushes,....there is a whole list of things you can send that will brighten up the life of some poor kids in some far off land, or maybe just down the street. And it doesn't cost much, maybe 20 bucks max, hell we can spend more than that in a week on fancy coffees or a couple of packs of smokes. Fill the shoe box, give it to the agency you wish to support and they will make sure it gets to some needy kid and brighten their Christmas 1000%.

And what do you get out of all this? Simple, as you sit back on Christmas Day evening, presents opens, kids and family in bed, you with a last glass of wine, scotch or beer in hand, the turkey coma slowly taking over, you can think of that unknown kid whose life you made a bit brighter, and you can bask in the warm glow that you kept the true meaning of the Holidays alive.

If you are interested, here is a link to the Canadian Charity I will be supporting this year, I am sure those of you in the US, Europe and even in South Africa can find a like charity.

http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/operation ... Dyj7RawXuo
Always ask why.